Monday, February 14, 2005

Brought to you by Hallmark and Hershey

Yes, it's that day of the year, also known as The Day Before All The Chocolate Goes On Sale.

Last night I bought heart-shaped balloons for G and sneaked them into her room so she'd see them first thing in the morning. She was thrilled -- I woke up with her standing by my side of the bed and whispering "Mommy, I got some balloons! Did you do that?" They had a Valentine party in her class this morning, and she handed out the Valentines she and I made and got a huge bag of cards and candy in return. When I got home from work, she was sitting on the couch, still in her ballet clothes (she has ballet class on Monday afternoons), devouring a cherry sucker like there was no tomorrow. It's good to be six. :-)

On the adult side of things, P got me Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, which I've been wanting to read, and I got him a bar of Godiva dark chocolate and a Hellblazer graphic novel, which I'll have to exchange because it turned out to be one he already had. (Repeat after me: It's the thought that counts.) Overall, I'd say it was a successful holiday.

In other news, our fish tank has developed a slow leak. We've had it for almost two years, so I suppose it was inevitable, but it's still annoying, not least because it means I have to buy, haul home and set up a new tank. I'm not looking forward to catching the fish and transferring them into their new home, either. The goldfish aren't too bad, but the catfish is strong and stubborn and doesn't like to be moved. P suggested that I just flush them -- "It's like Krypton," he said, "their environment is dying, so you might as well get it over with quickly" -- but I can't bring myself to do that. Guess I know what I'll be doing tomorrow night ...

No comments: