Friday, June 10, 2005

From the pits of Hades

Ugh, what a week. I had call-in jury service all week long, which meant I never knew from one day to the next whether I'd be going in or not. I finally had to report yesterday, which coincidentally was the same day I was scheduled to get a super-deep dental cleaning.

Okay, I thought, I'll be spending all day at the courthouse, but at least I can put the dentist off for a while! Things could be worse!

Ha ha! said Fate, and promptly made me sick.

I'm sure everyone in the courtroom was glad when I didn't end up on the jury. No one wants to sit next to someone who's sneezing and clutching a damp tissue in each hand. It's still going strong today -- I woke up feeling like I'd been kicked the head, and ended up leaving work halfway through the morning. I don't know whether it's a cold or a really bad allergy attack, but it doesn't make much difference in the amount of misery I feel. It had better be gone by tomorrow, though, because we've got birthday parties both days this weekend.

In other news, I'm reading an interesting book called The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home. I like the authors' systematic approach to learning and the idea that it can be used as either a supplement or a replacement for public/private school. I don't want to overwhelm G with a lot of extra work at home, but I think we're going to add some of the recommended books to our regular reading. You're supposed to focus on the ancients (Greeks, Egyptians, etc.) during the first four "grammar" years, and she's interested in that sort of thing anyway, so she should enjoy it. At the very least, she'll already be familiar with some of the myths when they come up in the higher grades.

That's it for now. I have to go blow my nose and whimper for a while.

No comments: