Friday, July 01, 2005

Rubbish

Today was one of my favorite days of the year. No, not Christmas: it was the annual large-item trash pickup day in our neighborhood. Large-item day is like the reverse of Christmas -- instead of a bunch of new crap coming into the house, a bunch of old crap goes out. Barbecue that we used once before it rusted in last year's rains? Gone. Broken lawn chair that sags alarmingly whenever someone sits in it? Gone. G's old sand table? Gone. It's good for the soul.

Wouldn't it be great if you could get rid of emotional junk that easily? I'd love to be able to drag all my grudges and disappointments and failures out to the curb once a year and have someone come by with a truck and take them away. Ah well, I can dream.

So this is the beginning of the long weekend. Tomorrow, G and I have to find and return her overdue library book before the library police come and haul us off in the paddy wagon. I think they're a little overzealous: the book is a couple of weeks overdue, and they've already sent us a letter threatening to report us to a collection agency. Of course, this is the same library that made me pay a $7 overdue fine for a book I checked out in 1983 when I applied for an adult card in 1995. Busted! I actually think we've returned this book already, so it'll just be a matter of going to the shelf and finding it.

Other than the library, and a trip to the science center on Sunday, we really don't have any plans for the next few days. I'm sure there'll be some sort of family event on Monday for the fourth, and we'll see fireworks -- G and I discovered last year that we can stand out on the sidewalk that runs in front of our lawn and watch a huge display a few miles away for free. Also, "safe and sane" fireworks are still legal in our city, and believe me, the neighbors take full advantage of them. I'm not sure how safe and sane the fireworks are when you're launching them from a nine-foot aluminum ladder in the middle of the street, but they are pretty to look at. :-)

No comments: