Friday, September 30, 2005

Burning up

It's the last day of September, so of course we're in the midst of our annual autumn heat wave. I've lived here for nearly 25 years, and it's happened every single autumn, but for some reason I keep hoping each year that this will be the year we get to skip it. Maybe this will be the year, I think, that we have a nice crisp autumn with crackling leaf piles and frosty mornings, the way the rest of the country does. Then the temperature hits 104 degrees, the hot wind screams down the canyons, and people's heads spontaneously combust.

I hope it's cooler tomorrow. I'm planning to get out our autumn decorations, and it just feels wrong to cover the fireplace hearth with fake pumpkins and leaves while electric fans are blasting in every room. What wouldn't I give for central air!

No comments: