Sunday, November 27, 2005

On the banks of the Nile

Urgh. I am not feeling well at all today. Since I'm mostly immobile, G and I have been doing the activities in her Usborne Egyptian kit -- we strung a scarab necklace and built a 1/2,000 scale model of the Great Pyramid at Giza, and then she made herself a construction-paper copy of a headdress in the Usborne Beginners Egyptians book and pretended to be Ma'at, goddess of truth. (That last one wasn't part of the kit, but you can be sure that when G does anything, there will always be dress-up involved.) Now she's watching an Egyptian-themed episode of The Backyardigans and I'm contemplating getting up and helping Pete with the chores. What a way to end a long weekend.

Thanksgiving is not a holiday that holds a lot of appeal for me in general, since I don't eat turkey and would rather be strung up by my thumbs than watch football, but this year it was pretty nice. We spent Black Friday shopping with my mother, who wanted to get us Christmas presents now because she won't see us again until January, and the next day I was at the stores again, first with G and then with P and his brother. You might think I would have managed to take care of some of my own Christmas shopping during all that, but you'd be wrong: I've only bought one gift (a book for G's cousin), and that was before Thanksgiving. I am going to be a ballistic stress missile in a couple of weeks if I don't get on the ball.

No comments: