Saturday, January 21, 2006

Asinine advertising

While doing laundry just now, I noticed that our bottle of Cheer Dark Formula detergent (a.k.a. Goth Wash) has a label that trumpets "25 Percent More Than 80 Ounces!" That is one of the most meaningless marketing statements I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot. If it said "25 Percent More Than 80-Ounce SIZE," that would be great, but saying that 100 ounces is 25 percent more than 80 ounces is a math problem, not a benefit. To look at it another way, if I had three cookies and you gave me one, then I would have 25 percent more cookies than I started with. If I had four cookies, I would have 25 percent more than someone with three cookies, but it wouldn't make any difference to me because I'd have four cookies one way or the other. Unless you can show me that I'm getting more of something than I otherwise would, I'm not impressed.

In other news, G woke up sniffly yesterday, and by the time we got home from her play rehearsal last night, she had a full-fledged snotter of a cold. She hasn't been sick at all since Halloween, so we're actually doing a lot better in that department than last year. Still, it's never fun to be under the weather.

She was still feeling poorly this morning, so I let her skip ballet and lie around in her pajamas much longer than usual. She and I watched TV together, played a game of checkers, and then played with her word tiles for a while. (Hers don't look exactly like the ones in the link, but they're very similar.) I bought the set when I was teaching her about onsets and rimes, and even though she learned them all a long time ago, she still likes to stick the tiles together to make different words.

I was planning to go to the library alone this afternoon, but G seemed better by then, so we all packed up and went together. She got a book on capybaras (like giant hamsters that swim) and one on beavers, plus four or five books about Jigsaw Jones and Nate the Great. Detectives are very big in our house. Even if I were the sort of person to commit a crime, I'd never get away with it -- G would whip out her notepad and magnifying glass and bust me in no time. :-)

While we were there, I also got a couple of books on Anglo-Saxon England and the Vikings for myself. I already have a passing acquaintance with both, but I need to learn more for a project I'm hoping to start this summer. In a weird way, it depresses me to look at all the history books on the library's shelves. I love history, but there's so much of it, and I know that even if I did nothing but read every day for the rest of my life, I could still never learn it all. I'm barely educated on the time periods I studied in college and have been reading about for years, never mind all the ones I still want to understand.

I once saw a Peanuts cartoon in which Charlie Brown said "The more I learn, the more I learn how much I have to learn." That about sums it up.

No comments: