Monday, March 27, 2006

It's Monday, all right

Whenever I'm tense or upset, I pick and bite at my cuticles and the skin around them until my hands look positively leprous. I've been doing it since I was in high school, sometimes more often, sometimes less, depending on what's happening in my life. Work has been stressful lately, so I've been at it a lot. I was fine while I was at home on Saturday and Sunday, and the picked-at places had almost healed over, but on the way to work this morning, I caught myself nibbling again. Now my left thumb and right index finger are all raw and sore. Dammit.

To top that off, while I was driving home, something seized up in my right shoulder/upper back. Half my mind was on a looming deadline at work; the other half on getting home before six and what I was going to cook for dinner when I got there; and a tiny corner reminding me to stop at the post office and mail the late payment for P's parking ticket. I felt a knot starting to form as I turned into the post-office parking lot, and by the time I found a parking space and got out of the car, it was in full-blown white-hot spasm. It's been getting better over the course of the evening, but I don't think sitting here at the computer is doing it any good. P just came up behind me and gave me a mini-massage, and I'm about to go lie down with a heating pad and a book.

How many more days till the weekend?

On the lighter side, G drew a fantastic set of pictures of the Scooby-Doo characters this evening. She already had Daphne and Fred finished when I got home, and did Velma, Scooby and Shaggy while I was making dinner. She does the most amazing drawings sometimes. It's not so much that they're exceptionally well-drawn as that she picks unusual things to depict: she'll draw a scene from the perspective of someone standing behind the action, or put in a unique detail you'd never think of including. (She once did a picture of her bear sitting on a table, and next to him in the picture was a copy of the same picture, and I assume it continued to infinity.) Her buildings have every window lovingly drawn in; her people have eyelashes and fingernails and shoelaces. She takes after P -- he loved to draw as a kid and young teenager, and his whole family thought he was going to be an artist until he turned 15 and discovered the guitar. After that his career goal was "rock star." :-)

No comments: