Tuesday, March 07, 2006

The stupormarket

I don't know how I managed to stand outside a grocery store for more than an hour on Saturday, actually enter a grocery store yesterday, and still not buy enough food so I wouldn't have to get takeout tonight. But I did. I had to spend half an hour of my precious post-work time driving to three different fast-food places to feed us all. Plus, I now have to go grocery shopping tomorrow, which I hate doing. If I go right after work, I don't have enough time at home with G; if I pick her up and take her with me, we're rushed and cranky and end up eating too late. I can wait until she's asleep and go then, but by that time it's dark and cold, and the last thing I want to do is wrangle a bunch of bags. I don't think I'm alone in that sentiment, either. Everyone in a grocery store after 10 p.m. looks so pale and weary and miserable, from the single men buying a box of cereal and 20 frozen meals to the parents dragging around little kids in pajamas. Which really frosts me -- a two-year-old has no business at Albertson's in the middle of the night -- but that's a rant for another day.

No comments: