Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Flow it, show it, long as God can grow it

I'm this close to breaking down and getting G's hair cut. I've been letting her grow it for more than a year, and it looks great -- like one of those shampoo ads where the models fling their gorgeous locks at the camera. Unfortunately, it also gets so tangled that brushing is an ordeal. We've tried leave-in conditioner, kids' spray detangler, Infusium Frizz Control, combing while wet, braiding before bed, everything. I've even let her handle the brushing herself, thinking that she might be able to avoid pulling better than I can, but her hair is so thick that she can't brush it thoroughly on her own. It's like the rain forest: there are different levels, and you have to do each section separately or the top will be smooth and the undergrowth will still be tangled.

Anyway, nothing works, and I can't take the bloodcurdling screams anymore. If I don't find a magic solution in the next week or so, she's going to have to visit the hairdresser for a major trim.

In other news, P announced a couple of days ago that he's going to be vegetarian during the month of May. This has made me excited about cooking again for the first time in forever. I actually like to cook, but I usually don't bother with anything more complicated than spaghetti because neither P nor G will eat it, which means I have to consume the whole dish by myself or watch it go to waste. If I make a pot of soup or a pan of lasagna, I'll be eating leftovers for days, and that gets old fast. But P has promised to eat whatever I cook during his vegetarian experiment, so I'm already flipping through the recipe books and planning things to make. And there won't be any spaghetti, that's for sure.

In book news, G and I stayed up late last night to finish How to Eat Fried Worms, a classic I remember reading when I was in fourth or fifth grade. Today, our Story of the World books finally came, and we read the preliminary What is History and What is Archaeology chapters of Volume 1 before bed ("I already knew that," said G, supremely unimpressed), along with the first chapter on nomads. There are more than 40 chapters, so it's going to take a while, even if we skip the chapters on topics that Miss Smartypants "already knows." I'm pondering getting her the activity book that complements Vol. 1, but the reviews on Amazon indicate that the activities are mostly coloring, which she isn't too fond of. She loves to draw her own pictures, but not to fill in other people's. Ah well, we'll see.

No comments: