Sunday, April 16, 2006

Holiday wrap-up

The rest of the day went well, if quietly. Around 2:00, we headed over to P's parents' house to eat and let G hunt for eggs in the back yard. Her cousin C didn't show up, and the other, R, is so young that he was more interested in pulling up the grass than looking for plastic things, so G got to do pretty much all the hunting herself. After she filled her own basket, she ran around collecting the remaining eggs and making them into a pile for R. :-) We left there at about four and came home so P could do laundry and I could go shopping for food.

I really wanted to get G to bed early -- it's been a hectic weekend with less sleep than usual, and she has to get up for school tomorrow -- so I had her change into pajamas and brush her teeth before it was even dark outside. I read the last chapter of Pippi Longstocking, she read some of a Magic School bus chapter book called Penguin Puzzle, and the lights went out at 8:00. She was asleep within 15 minutes and I haven't heard a peep from her since, so hopefully she'll be nice and rested when I go to roust her out of bed in the morning. No more holidays till Memorial Day!

Speaking of holidays, this year P and I made a special effort to help G understand the religious aspect of Easter. She knew the basic story from a picture book we used to have, but she didn't really get it. So, in addition to explaining as much as possible, we got The Animated Passion and we all watched it together. That was really helpful -- it wasn't the best animation I've ever seen, but the tale was told well and with drama, and I was able to help her connect it with some things she'd heard during the Palm Sunday service. I'm not sure how much she got out of going to church today, since her grandparents aren't as big on explaining things as P and I are, but having seen the movie probably helped. Hopefully she'll understand a little more every year.

No comments: