Monday, May 15, 2006

My day

This morning I got the gift all mothers crave most: I slept in until 11:00. Ha!

Once I was finally conscious and vertical, G gave me the gift she'd made for me in school. It was a flowerpot with two paper daisies, each of which had her picture in the center. On the leaves, she'd written "You're my favorite mom" and "I'm your little sidekick." P had already given me the gift I asked him for, which was money to get my hair colored. None of those sentimental trinkets for us; we're a very practical couple.

In the afternoon, we made a quick appearance at a family party, where G earned 25 bucks singing karaoke for her aunts and uncles, and then headed over to Disneyland. The park was remarkably uncrowded, which was surprising for a weekend in May, but you won't hear any argument from me on that account. We ate at the Riverbelle Terrace, went on the Haunted Mansion, Winnie-the-Pooh and Peter Pan, got ice cream on Main Street, and left just before 8 p.m. (There was no line for Snow White, and we could have gotten on that one too, but G didn't want to go because, as she said, "the witch freaks me out too much.") G was disappointed that she'd forgotten her autograph book, but it ended up not mattering, since there were no characters around to meet.

Strangest thing overheard at the park: a mom saying "Come on, D'Artagnan" to her five- or six-year-old kid. D'Artagnan? I liked The Three Musketeers too, but that's going a bit far. Although it would be funny to have triplets and name them Athos, Porthos and Aramis.

All in all, a nice Mother's Day.

No comments: