Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Hello, kitty

When I told G we were moving, the first words out of her mouth were not "Where to?" or "Are we bringing my toys?" or "Will I go to the same school?"

They were "Can I have a cat?"

I said yes. And it's a good thing I meant it, because G seized on the promise like a fruit bat on a ripe papaya. At each complex we toured, she turned to me in the leasing office and asked very seriously, "Is it pet-friendly?" Now that we have, in fact, secured a pet-friendly place to live, her excitement knows no bounds. She talks about her future kitty every day, and tonight she coaxed me into putting a Tupperware dish of milk outside our front door in hopes of luring one of the neighborhood cats for her to "practice" on. I'm sure one of the 40-pound raccoons that lurk around our trash cans is out there right now, enjoying a free drink on us.

The thing is, since G has never had a cat, she has unrealistic expectations of what they're like. Here are a few of the things she plans to do with her hapless pet:

• Dress it in little outfits
• Train it to walk on its hind legs and push a baby carriage (she saw this at the circus last weekend)
• Buy four tiny tap shoes and teach it to dance

As a veteran cat person, I've tried to prepare her by explaining that while (most) cats like to sit on your lap and be petted, they don't generally do tricks or tolerate dressing up. In fact, they do pretty much whatever they please, whenever they please, and don't appreciate having their plans altered. I have the feeling that G will end up getting scratched a few times before that truth really sinks in. She loves animals and would never do anything to hurt one, so there's no need to worry about the cat's safety. She just seems to think that a cat is more like a dog or a baby than, well, a cat.

She'll learn.

2 comments:

Well-heeled mom said...

Hi. I found you through Michelle at Baggage, and have been catching up on your posts. I am at a loss for words, naturally, because I can't pretend to know what you are going through. Except, my husband is my soulmate and best friend and I can't imagine losing him. And, on July 6, we celebrated our 15th anniversary in Vegas. And you are right - all that really matters is that we were together and happy, not that we were on vacation. When I saw your anniversary date, it took my breath away. Please know that I am so sorry for all that you've been through and all that you will go through without him. May there come a time when you can smile at the memories without so much pain, and may that time come sooner than later.

Anonymous said...

the color depletion theory should not bar the party's single color mark from protection.In general, the color depletion theory fails to take into account the specific properties of color — including hue, saturation and value Christian louboutin sale— and therefore underestimates the thousands, if not millions, of different colors distinguishable to the human eye. Descriptive word marks address these scarcity issues by

prah, you have quoted Glinda the Good Witch [from The Wizard of Oz]: 'You always had the power.' And that is the message you have brought into our lives."--Tom Cruise, during one of Oprah's Farewell episodes. Christian Louboutin SandalsThis would be one of "my favorite things" for Oprah, this holiday season. The closest I might get to the original ruby slippers is the Bianca by Louboutin. Jimmy Choo on-line has them on s

hat clothes are not, nor understands makeup. But I just thought, face a little color are not, stage lights down will not look good. The bar on the bar has a did not know who the lipstick. Very old, dirty, a bit dry. What can not be said to color. I secretly it painted. But I was too hard, I do not know how, put the lipstick broke. I felt very confused, quickly took the broken part quietly back, sc

ny of her family members still live. She now has ample time to reflect on where things went wrong.The Arab League has suspended Syria from the organization; Jordan's King Abdullah and the Obama administrationChristian Louboutin Flats have both asked him to step down. Day by day, more soldiers are deserting, joining opposition forces, and greater numbers of Assad's associates are subject to travel restrictions and asset fr