Saturday, March 10, 2007

Grumpy McCrankypants

It's a good thing G and I live with each other, because I don't think anyone else would be able to stand either of us at the moment. She is moody, hypersensitive and prone to slamming doors and stomping off in huffs, and I am impatient, irritable and sluggish. In her case, I suspect it's down to hormones starting to kick in -- my mother and sister were both very early bloomers who got started at eight or nine, and she seems to be taking after them physically. In my case, I left puberty behind when Reagan was still president and am 10 years too young for menopause, so I don't know what my excuse is. All I know is that if I had a lawn, I'd be out there yelling at kids to get off it right now. If I could find the motivation to leave the sofa, that is.

In between spats, G and I did manage to accomplish a few things today. We took a walk and met a pair of mallard ducks whom we named Danny and Dora; we played a game G learned at school that's like Cootie, only with paper and pencil; we went to the grocery store and bought a box of Girl Scout cookies on the way out (after last year's cookie-selling experience, I'm no longer able to walk past a table manned by a desperate mother without buying something in solidarity); and we picked up Story of the World, Vol. II again for the first time in a few weeks.

Since G and I are reading the SotW books for fun and enrichment rather than as a serious history curriculum, we tend to cherry-pick the parts that look most interesting, so tonight we read about Amaterasu and Susano, Australian aborigines, and the Maori in New Zealand, skipped Charles Martel and Charlemagne (we'll get to them sooner or later) and then read a long chapter about the Vikings and the Norse gods. G is already pretty familiar with those characters -- we've got D'Aulaire's Book of Norse Myths and have read quite a bit from it -- but she'd never heard tonight's story, which was about Thor trying to steal a giant's drinking horn. She loved it, especially the part where the giant's cat licked Thor and batted at him with its enormous paw. All I could think was Man, I'm glad I don't have to scoop THAT litter box. Hee.

2 comments:

Pixilated Mum said...

Why am I totally laughing at the thought of you on yelling at kids to get off your lawn? I'm glad you haven't gone that far yet. ;-) And ... you know ... sometimes if the kids are being moody and irritable, it does tend to rub on me. So, maybe that's why you feel grumpy, too ... ?

Ohhhh, Story of the World vol. II. That sounds plenty exciting. We're halfway through Story of the World vol. I. It's such a springboard for other things for us ... We got stuck at ancient Africa, so, as you know, we're all about Ananse right now. It's hard for me to be patient because the Greeks are right around the corner, and I find them fascinating! (Can you imagine if we get to that section, and the kids just motor through it without wanting more books about it? YIKES.)

Hm, I don't know much about the Norse folks. I'm horribly ignorant about all that, but I imagine we'll get to that eventually.

p.s. Are you sick of my replying to almost every blog entry now? LOL

Vanessa said...

Kicked your soccer ball into my yard, eh, girlie? Well, it's mine now! :)


G really loved the Greeks -- for several months last year, she was determined to have an Ancient Greek theme for her birthday party. It's probably just as well she didn't, since I can't imagine serving stuffed grape leaves to her friends, but it was a cool idea. Perhaps when she's a bit older.

As for the Vikings, their time in England is one of my favorite historical periods. Although having made and eaten Viking bread, I know I definitely wouldn't want to live there, LOL. You can always check out the Viking Answer Lady to learn more about them -- not that you're likely to have time, with so many ancient civilizations vying for your attention. :)