Monday, April 02, 2007

The historian

This evening, as I was picking G up from her grandfather's office, someone said to her "So, next week is spring break. No homework!" G agreed with that enthusiastically. Then I said, half-teasing, "Hmmm, maybe I should make up some homework for you," and G got even more excited and said "Yes! History homework! Give me history homework, Mom!" Poor girl, she loves history so much and they just don't do it in second grade. If it weren't for our own reading, she'd get none at all.

I've actually been doing a bit of investigation into private schools for G. She's bored silly this year -- her teacher says she never puts out the slightest bit of effort in class, and yet she's gotten near-perfect or perfect report cards for the last two marking periods. She regularly complains about the work they do and says she'd rather learn from books, and she's asked me more than once if I can quit my job and teach her myself. Since that's not possible, I'm hoping I can find some sort of program that's more challenging for her. It's my fault she's in this position -- I'm the one who insisted on teaching her to read before she started school, and I'm the one who got her interested in history and science -- so I owe it to her to come up with a solution. I know that if she stays where she is, the work will catch up with her by fourth or fifth grade, or middle school at the latest, but it seems unfair to ask her to be bored until then. The only problem is, most of the private schools around here cost $12,000 a year, which I most emphatically cannot afford. Yikes.

4 comments:

writermeeg said...

Have you looked at the Journey School in South OC? It's my dream school for S -- a free charter school but based on Waldorf methods. I think it might suit G, too. Let me know if you want more info...

Pixilated Mum said...

LOL That is so G. I knew they didn't do history in elementary school, but I thought they did science ... They don't???

Essie finishes first grade in May and then we start second grade in June. I asked her if she wanted to do anything special during May, and she said, "History! Let's keep reading history!" Sounds like G, huh?

Excuse the tacky question, but are P's parents willing to help out a little? Maybe they can help take the edge off the cost ... Sorry if that's a tacky question ... And I know there are a lot of charter schools out there (and some that are sort of set up like homeschooling, with kids learning at their pace) so best of luck in your search. I wish I could recommend something ...

Well-heeled mom said...

Perhaps a scholarship?

writermeeg said...

Just an added, FYI, Journey School is one of the charter schools that is actually full-time, so you wouldn't need to worry about work/homeschool conflicts...