Friday, October 12, 2007

Meme time

I got tagged for a Conscious Consumer meme by my RL buddy Megan ...

Here’s how it works: post the directions on your blog, tell everyone who tagged you, answer the questions, and tag five or more people. That’s it!

The purpose of this meme is to inspire some reflection about how we shop and what we purchase. The idea isn’t that consumption itself is somehow bad, but that we all could probably stand to put a little bit more thought into what we buy. And, of course, it’s supposed to be fun.

So here goes! Pick a recent shopping trip — for clothes, shoes, groceries, doesn’t matter. The only guideline is that it will be easier to play if you purchased at least a few things.

Now tell us about your purchases:


I went to the drugstore, where I bought a toothbrush for G, disposable gloves to wear when scooping the cat box, Tylenol gel caps, and shampoo, shower gel and hand cream for myself.

1. What are you proud of?

Hmm, I guess G's toothbrush, because I had actually inspected hers that morning and realized that she needed a new one. I'm not always good at keeping up with that sort of thing, but this time I was on top of it. (A very P thing to say, by the way. On top of it and You really stepped up to the plate were two of his highest expressions of approval.)

2. What are you embarrassed by?

Nothing really. I needed it all, and the cosmetic stuff was cruelty-free.

3. What do think you couldn’t live without?

The gloves. I love my pets, but I don't want to get anywhere near their poop with my bare hands.

4. What did you most enjoy purchasing?

The hand cream and shower gel. I stood in the aisle uncapping bottles and sniffing different scents for a good 10 minutes before settling on Lemon Twist.

5. What were you most tempted by? (This last one may or may not be an actual purchase!)

Chips at the cash register, and I didn't buy any. Hah!

I don't think I'll officially tag anyone, but if you're reading and would like to do it, consider yourself tagged. :)

No comments: