Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Mad rush

Whoever invented evening activities for children was a sadist, plain and simple. Tonight G's school had "Family Pajama Movie Night," which required me to leave work, rush home, get G's pajamas and slippers, collect her, rush her back to the school, help her change in the bathroom, and deliver her to the multipurpose room, only to discover that I hadn't thought to bring anything for her to sit on. Tomorrow is her Girl Scout meeting, which means pretty much the same song and dance, only without the pajamas and with the added need to feed her dinner (hello, fast food) before the meeting starts at 5:30. Plus, now that it's late autumn, all this happens in the pitch dark. Yay.

Don't get me wrong, G loves these activities and I think they're good for her. Like her father, she's an extrovert and craves lots of stimulation and time with other people, and since I'm the exact opposite (I could probably spend a week at home in total solitude, watching movies from Netflix and ordering groceries and pizza online), I have to make an effort to ensure she gets it. I just wish I had more time to make it all happen. In fact, I've often thought that our overall quality of life would be immeasurably better if I only worked two fewer hours per day. On the occasions when I've gotten out of work early enough to pick G up from school, the afternoon and evening have been so stress-free I can hardly believe it -- we've had hours to finish homework, eat dinner, do errands, even play a few rounds of Uno or Connect Four. I don't know why there should be such a huge difference between coming home at 4 and coming home at 6, but there is. Why can't it always be that way?

ETA: Something smells like burning rubber in here, and I can't figure out what it is. I turned off the washer and dryer; it isn't either of those. I'm not running the dishwasher or using the oven, nothing is plugged in that shouldn't be, and I just scooped the cat box, which is the usual source of mysterious awful smells. I'm stumped, and also worried. I don't know how I'm supposed to sleep with this going on.

3 comments:

Humincat said...

Oh, the good ol' days of coming home from work and being productive....but then, I got home when she got out of school, so I had time to be productive. Are there other positions you could apply for?

Vanessa said...

My employer actually has flex time, so the earlier I arrive, the earlier I can leave. The problem is that G's school doesn't have supervision on the playground until 7:45, so even if I drop her off the second they open the gate, the earliest I can get to work is 8. If I arrive at 8, I leave at 5, when traffic is worse, and with one thing and another, we end up getting home at 6. It really makes it hard to do anything in the evening and still have her get to bed at a decent time -- I aim for 9 p.m. and even that doesn't always happen.

In contrast, when her dad was alive, he picked her up, fed her a snack, and had her homework and shower finished by the time I got home. All I had to do was cook dinner. We could have a nice, relaxed meal, and still have an hour or two to just play or read or watch a video together before bed. I miss those days!

Humincat said...

Yeah. I guess I will never be able to really relate my married life to your widowed one. Do you ever get mad?