Saturday, February 23, 2008

Status report

1. G is no longer sick, except for the traditional lingering Cough of Doom. My grandmother says these sorts of coughs won't go away until the sap rises in the spring. I don't think there are any maple trees in California, so perhaps we're supposed to use a different milestone, like "when the pollen flies" or "when the jacarandas bloom and drop their sticky crap all over your car."

2. Now that G is well, it's my turn to be sick. I'm not as sick as she was, and in fact I don't think I have the same thing she had, but I'm more than sick enough. I went to bed on Thursday feeling decidedly ill, and had one of those nights that seems to last forever -- the kind where you wake up shivering and in pain for the fifth time, and it's still only three a.m. I've improved since then, but I still don't feel like myself. I really hope it stops soon, because we've lost two full weeks to illness at this point, and I have other things to do.

3. I want to enter a personal-essay contest I found online, but I can't think of a single thing to write about. It makes no sense. I go on and on (and on) about myself in this blog, but as soon as I try to write something real, my brain freezes. Why?

No comments: