Thursday, March 20, 2008

En garde!

How do people manage to have their kids in evening activities and still keep their lives running? G has had two evening events this week -- movie night and Girl Scouts -- and it's thrown our whole routine into chaos. Neither of us has eaten a real dinner since Monday, my bedroom is full of clean-but-unfolded laundry, the cats are acting sulky and neglected, and there's a shoe drift forming near the front door. I can't imagine what it would be like if she were in a sport that required regular weeknight practices.

Speaking of that, after nine years of total disinterest in any sort of athletic endeavor, G has decided that she wants to do a sport. Of course, since she's G, the sport she's excited about isn't your run-of-the-mill softball or basketball, it's fencing. I dutifully checked online, but was unable to find any fencing classes that accept students under 12, which ticked her off to no end.

Me: Sorry, kiddo, I can't find anything for someone your age.
G: Grrr!
Me: Is there another sport you'd like to try?
G (decisively): Archery.
Me: Archery? Can't you just play soccer like all the other kids?
G: No. I like being different.
Me: I know you do, and it's a cool thing about you, but it also makes it kind of hard on Mom, you know?
G: I still want to fence.

Okay, D'Artagnan. I'll see what I can do.

2 comments:

Humincat said...

When I was pregnant with Babygirl, two different people recommended that name if it was a boy! CUCKOO! CUCKOO! Why would I name my son after a musketeer or whatever?

Vanessa said...

Believe it or not, a couple of years ago, I actually overheard someone at Disneyland calling her son by that name. I can't think of any last name it would go with -- D'Artagnan Smith? D'Artagnan Jones? D'Artagnan Sanchez?