Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Doing the math

I knew P for 13 years, one month and three days.
We were together for 12 years, five months and 17 days.
We were married for 10 years, minus four days.

Today he has been gone for one year, nine months and 27 days.
On Aug. 5, 2019, he will have been gone for longer than I knew him.
On Dec. 19. 2018, he will have been gone for longer than we were together.
On June 28, 2016, he will have been gone for longer than we were married.

When I met P, I was 21 years, six months and 19 days old.
He was 23 years, three months and two days old.

When he died, he was 36 years, four months and five days old.
I was 34 years, seven months and 22 days old.

On March 16, 2008, I became older than he will ever be.

When he's been gone for longer than we were married, I will be 44 years, seven months and 18 days old.
When he's been gone for longer than we were together, I will be 47 years, one month and nine days old.
When he's been gone for longer than I knew him, I will be 47 years, eight months and 26 days old.
When he's been gone for longer than G knew him, she will be 14 years, 10 months and 13 days old.


I don't know why any of this matters, but for some reason, it does. It matters a lot.

(Calculations courtesy of time and date.com.)

3 comments:

Gayle said...

I met my husband when I was 22 and when I turned 44, I was so excited that I'd known him half my life. He died suddenly less than 3 months later. He was 2 1/2 year older than me but on my next birthday, I'll be the same age he was when he died. For what it's worth, you're not the only one who counts things like this.

Pixilated Mum said...

I know this isn't the same at all ... but my first boyfriend died when we were 18. And I was thinking the other day, that this May, I'll be 36 and exactly have doubled his lifespan. It's really just shocking to me, even after all this time.

I hate numbers in general. And I hate doing any sort of math that makes time move so swiftly ...

Space Mom said...

Unfortunately time moves forward, but the quality of the time you, P and G had will never change