Friday, April 04, 2008

Quintets*

Got tagged for this meme by Natasha:

Five things I was doing 10 years ago:

1. In April 1998, P and I had been married for two years and had just moved into a bigger apartment in the complex where we then lived, which I still pass every day on my way home.

2. We were also talking about whether we eventually wanted to live in New York, which we'd really enjoyed when we visited the previous autumn.

3. I was an editorial assistant at the same company I work for now.

4. I had just applied to graduate school and had been accepted into the university, but not yet into the program I was planning to do.

5. I was less than a month away from getting pregnant with G, which would come as quite a surprise -- we had agreed that we wanted to have one child, but were planning to wait a few years. As it turned out, it was good that we had her when we did, because it meant she got to have her dad for seven years instead of just one or two, and he got to enjoy her while he was still fairly healthy. Sometimes fate works out for the best.

Five things on my to-do list today:

1. Help photographer scout locations for photo shoot.

2. Edit articles.

3. Pick G up from afterschool program.

4. Fold laundry.

5. Exercise.

Five snacks I enjoy:

1. Chips and salsa

2. Raisin Bran Crunch cereal (no milk)

3. Apple slices

4. Cheese and Triscuits

5. Chocolate-covered pretzels

Five things I would do if I were a billionaire:

1. Start my own magazine, but be a dilettante and only do the fun parts I enjoyed, while my large and well-paid staff did all the crap work.

2. Buy and renovate a historic house on the East Coast, and have an ultramodern one built to spec on the West Coast .

3. Set up trust funds for my family and P's family.

4. Spend a year living in different parts of Europe and the UK.

5. Set up a charity for kids living in motels.

Five of my bad habits:

1. I spend too much time online.

2. I almost never return phone calls.

3. The inside of my car is always messy.

4. I always owe library fines because I never return my books on time.

5. I buy songs off iTunes even though I already own the CDs, because I'm too lazy to dig through all the boxes to find them.

Five places I have lived:

1. Fort Walton Beach, Fla.

2. Augusta, Ga.

3. New Orleans, La.

4. Houston, Texas

5. Midland Park, N.J.

Five jobs I've had:

1. Cashier in a natural-foods grocery store

2. Retail buyer

3. Editorial assistant

4. Copywriter

5. Managing editor of a trade magazine.

---

Part of the meme is tagging five other people, but I don't think I'll officially tag anyone. If you decide to do it, though, please leave a comment -- I'd love to read your responses.

* G would love the title of this post. She's fascinated by names for different-numbered groups of things -- duo, trio, quartet, etc. Also, she always says "thrice" instead of "three times," which sounds very funny when she tells me things like "I had to sharpen my pencil thrice while I was at school today."

2 comments:

Humincat said...

I used to say thrice as a kid too! One day, somebody I looked up to (not sure who, an adult of some sort) corrected me and told me I sounded ridiculous, so I never said it again. I also thought I made up the saying "The best in the West!" and was excited whenever I saw on t.v. or billboard or something, as if I was starting a trend or something. I think I'm too lazy to do this, but if I get bored enough and do it, I'll let you know.

All Adither said...

Thrice! Ha! She sounds super smart.