Monday, May 12, 2008

Just a regular Sunday

Mother's Day was more or less a non-event. G spent Saturday night at a sleepover for her friend's birthday, and when I picked her up on Sunday morning, she was cranky and sluggish with lack of sleep. She gave me a rose that the mother who was hosting the sleepover had given her to give to me, and a card that she'd drawn the night before, and then she flatly refused to do anything else or leave the house for most of the day.

Around one-thirty in the afternoon, I suggested that we try to take a nap so she'd be in a better mood, but that backfired when I fell asleep on my bed, and she stayed awake and played computer games on my laptop. After I woke up, I finally convinced her to go with me to pick up some takeout -- I hadn't eaten lunch and was starving -- by first snapping at her, then feeling remorseful and promising that we'd stop to see the puppies at the pet store on the way home. It wasn't a Mother's Day that will go down in the record books, that's for sure. Sigh. At least I managed to do my part by sending something to my mother and mother-in-law earlier in the week.

The only high point of the day came when I received an anonymous delivery of flowers, which I still haven't tracked to its source. I have an idea who it might be, since I only know a few people who live in the city where the florist who delivered the flowers is located, and only two or three of those people know my address, and only one of them is someone who is likely to do something like that. I saw her today, but she didn't say anything, and I didn't want to bring it up in case I'm wrong. Very mysterious! (But very much appreciated as well. Thanks, anonymous flower-giver, whoever you really are.)

1 comment:

writermeeg said...

Aw, V! Belated happy Mother's Day! Someday G will shower you with love on this day -- maybe, uh, 15 years from now?? I'm so glad someone sent you flowers. Awesome person. Very cool. (I wish it was me, but it wasn't!)