Thursday, June 26, 2008

En garde, part deux

So, a while back I wrote about G's slightly unorthodox choice of a sport, and my attempts to find a place that would teach it to her. Well, believe it or not, the search eventually yielded a fencing school that a.) isn't too far from where we live, and b.) takes students of all ages. And this evening, she attended her first class. 20 boys and men, and one bad-ass 9-year-old girl. Mine. :)

It's a very serious school -- they're closed next week because most of the team are going to compete at the nationals -- and the instructor is very serious too. However, I had a terrible time containing my laughter when he announced "Female students will wear chest protectors, and male students will wear cups! I wear a cup at all times!" You have no idea how much I wanted to raise my hand and ask "Really? How about at the grocery store? Or while you're making pancakes? Or mowing the lawn?" But, he was holding a weapon at the time, so I controlled myself.

Tonight's class started out from absolute zero, and by the end of the hour, they were all advancing and retreating and lunging with actual blades. It'll be interesting to see how they progress over the next eight weeks. At the next session, the instructor is going to split the group into over-14s and under-14s, so G won't be fighting any grown men, just boys close to her own age. And on that note, I'm thinking it might be useful to have a daughter who knows how to kill people with swords when the dating years come along -- "Going out for the night? Don't forget your saber!" Haha.

1 comment:

Pixilated Mum said...

That's awesome.

You know, after we watched the new Indy movie, and there's the whole bit with the kid having taken fencing, I was wondering if G had started lessons ... It's awesome that she has.

So cool.