Sunday, September 07, 2008

Childish things

Every Labor Day weekend, we (for "we," read "mostly I") give G's bedroom a massive cleaning so she can start the new school year in a tidy environment. Usually, the cleaning involves a lot of me saying "Let's get rid of this," and G protesting that she needs whatever it is, even though she hasn't touched it in six months.

Not this year, though. This year, barely glancing up from her American Girl magazine, she said I could take her My Little Ponies, her Polly Pockets, her Barbies and all their assorted paraphernalia down to storage because she doesn't play with them anymore. And even though I've been itching to clear all those things out for ages, this made me strangely sad, because I know it's the beginning of the end of an era. She did choose to keep her Littlest Pet Shop collection, her stuffed animals and a few of her superhero action figures, but some of those will go when we do this again next year, and some more the year after that, and eventually all the toys will be gone, and along with them will go the 4- and 5- and 6-year-old G who spent hours playing Barbies and Pollies with her dad. (Among his other talents, P was the undisputed champion at inventing adventures for little plastic dolls. Strange but true.)

Of course this is all totally natural, and I did the same thing when I was around her age, although I think I might have been almost 11 rather than almost 10. It's just one of those transitions that are harder on mothers than they are on children. Children are eager to shake the dust of an earlier phase off their feet; mothers want to catch that dust in a box and preserve it forever. If P were here, though, he'd shake his head, as he often did, and say "She's not a little kid anymore; you've got to let her grow up." He didn't believe in babying kids or holding them back when they were ready to move on, and he was probably right. I'll just have to do my best to follow his advice.

3 comments:

Shelley said...

You're so right. The leap from the kinder years is so evident this year. Only this year my G wanted to clean and organize her own room (which I couldn't argue with). So I got to avoid some of the melancholiness.

But I was very sad to clear out the size 4s in Miss C's closet yesterday to replace with size 5 hand-me-downs.

BTW, has your G asked for new bedding yet? Apparently now the very expensive Pottery Barn Kids ensemble I bought mine 6 years ago is so yesterday. :)

foxychao said...

I had to clear out my little boy's 0-3 month outfits last Friday and upgrade to 3-6 month. It was a sad and exciting moment. I think moms would like to hold on to their little ones just a bit longer...

amy said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,a片,AV女優,聊天室,情色