Thursday, October 23, 2008

Thursday Thirteen


Thirteen Poems I Love


1. Elizabeth Bishop, One Art

2. Robert Frost, Design

3. Christina Rossetti, Goblin Market

4. W.H. Auden, Musee des Beaux Arts

5. Anne Sexton, Her Kind

6. Anne Sexton, The Truth the Dead Know

7. Garrett Hongo, The Legend

8. Theodore Roethke, The Waking (possibly my favorite poem ever)

9. William Shakespeare, Fear No More the Heat o' the Sun

10. Wilfred Owen, Dulce et Decorum Est

11. Charles Baudelaire, Be Drunk

12. Pablo Neruda, Love for this Book

13. Alfred, Lord Tennyson, The Lady of Shalott



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!





Yes, I know poetry isn't everyone's thing, but I love it, so much that I even took a couple of poetry-writing workshops in college. (Meet my professor, who was lovely and very encouraging and would probably be disappointed that I haven't written a single poem since I graduated.)

If you have a favorite poem that isn't listed here, please leave a link in the comments. I'd love to read it!

3 comments:

Halcyon Mama said...

Oooh, you have some good ones here, and some that I haven't read before, too, which is great for me. Remind me to send you my version of "One Art" sometime -- it's about doing laundry. I'm sure Elizabeth Bishop is rolling in her grave.

Here's a favorite of mine:
http://www.bartleby.com/103/33.html

Vanessa said...

Yes, send me yours please -- I love villanelles. They're the devil to write, but so good to read.

I had the worst time narrowing my list down to 13 poems. I left out Sylvia Plath and Samuel Taylor Coleridge and Audre Lorde and so many others that I like. It's too bad it isn't the Thursday 100!

jillian said...

excellent list - many favorite poets but poems I don't think I know. The Baudelaire I had written on my dorm room wall (natch) and I love to read aloud the Lady of Shalott (and one of my favorite bookmarks is a postcard print of the William Holman Hunt). + the Sanpiper (Bishop) and The Ovenbird (Frost)

I would like to proffer:
Diving Into the Wreck, Adrienne Rich
The Idea of Order at Key West, Wallace Stevens
The Second Coming, Yeats

and because of this post I am remembering to revisit the poet Yehuda Amichai...

so much good stuff! yeah.