Monday, January 05, 2009

Not so gr8, rly

Friday:

Called the management to report that my dishwasher was refusing to drain and regurgitating hot water and suds onto the kitchen floor.

Saturday and Sunday:

Grumpily washed dishes by hand.

Today:

Came home to find a note from the repairman stating that the dishwasher "works fine" and I should "use the correct soap." (I'm thinking he saw the bottle of regular dish soap that I had been using to wash dishes IN THE SINK, because I COULDN'T USE THE EFFING DISHWASHER, and assumed that I had half-wittedly used that instead of dishwasher soap.) With this assurance, I loaded the dishwasher and ran it, and when it got to the rinse cycle, dirty water backed up into both sides of the sink and wouldn't drain. I suppose this is an improvement in that it isn't spilling onto the floor, but not such an improvement in that now I can't use the sink OR the dishwasher.

Color me unimpressed.

On the bright side, G has decided that she now will eat sandwiches made with processed cheese slices, bringing the total options for her packed lunches to three. (The other two are jelly sandwiches, which come home uneaten half the time, and cold plain pasta.) I can't begin to tell you how challenging it is to create a cold lunch for a picky vegetarian who insists on a "main course," but refuses to eat peanut butter, hummus, hard-boiled eggs, yogurt (except Gogurt), real cheese, or any of the other vegetarian staples. I hope she manages to expand her repertoire before she leaves for college, though I suppose at least she'll have a hot plate and a microwave at her disposal there.

2 comments:

Humincat said...

And I complain about my picky eater! Does she like tofu? (nobody here will touch it, but my mom LOVES it.) What about wraps with a spread and lettuce and tomato and cucumber slices as "the meat"? I had that with chicken and even enjoyed it after the chicken was gone. How about a salad with whole olives and black beans? Or a bean and rice burrito? Am I helping? That whole note he left would have left me PISSED. He assumed you were an idiot, and stated so, because HE didn't stay around long enough to see what the actual problem was. Anyway, I'm going to running recipes in my head all day now thanks to you!

Shari said...

I have an 11 year old son who doesn't eat meat and is very picky.

Some lunch ideas:
fake lunch meat for sandwiches
bagels and cream cheese
cheese pizza
falafels

That's all I can think of for now, hope that helps a bit!