Thursday, June 04, 2009

Spirits of earth and air

April 16, 2008:

So the other night (Thursday, I think) I woke up at about 1 a.m. because I had heard someone call my name, loud and close by, as if they were trying to wake me up. I looked around, but obviously there wasn't anyone there, so I went back to sleep.

A little while after that, I woke up again, and as I opened my eyes, I saw something over my bed in the dark, probably two feet above me and the same distance in front of me. I described it as an irregular circle to someone the next day, but it wasn't really round enough to be a circle -- almost a kite shape, but more circular than that. (Vague, I know, but I only saw it for a few seconds and it's been a while since then.) It wasn't very big, and I had a distinct impression that it was flat. It had a glow to it, and there were colors within the glow, green and blue, like the colors you see in an opal.

I was in the process of sitting up in bed as I woke up -- it felt like coming up through water toward the surface -- and as I sat up and got closer to whatever-it-was, it flew backward away from me, as if it were being pulled on a string. (If you've ever had a floater in your eye, it was a bit like that, the way they drift off to the side of your vision as you try to look at them.) By the time I was sitting all the way up, it was gone.

It wasn't a frightening experience -- I just lay down again and thought about it for a minute or two before turning over and going back to sleep -- but it was very odd. I don't really believe in ghosts (I don't not believe in them, but I don't have any real proof they exist, either) but it was almost enough to make me think I'd been visited by some sort of spirit.


Dec. 2, 2008:


... Maybe six months ago, I woke up in the middle of the night and saw a strange, kite-shaped glowing object hovering over me, glowing with half a dozen opalescent colors. I saw it for a split second and then it flew backward and disappeared. I had forgotten about it until last night, when I had a similar experience.

The last time this happened, I had gone to bed fairly late and hadn't been asleep very long, and I woke up because I heard someone say my name. This time, I had also gone to bed late, but I don't know what woke me, only that I opened my eyes and this thing was directly in front of my face. It wasn't solid like the last time, but made up of dozens or hundreds of tiny red and green lights. They were connected in a vaguely spherical shape by strands of something I couldn't quite see, and the overall effect was of a tangled bundle of Christmas-tree lights. I saw it and I said out loud, as if I were answering a question someone had asked me while I was sleeping, "It's because you aren't here. I wouldn't do it if you were here." Whatever-it-was then flew backward over my head and (I assume) disappeared through the headboard of the bed. I looked at the clock -- it was 1:41 a.m. -- and then I calmly went back to sleep and didn't think about it again until I was in the shower this morning.

Time to lay off the crack, eh?


April 20, 2009:

Twice in the past I've written about waking up shortly after falling asleep to see glowing/lighted objects hanging just over my bed. Well, last night my subconscious took it to a new level, because I saw an actual person in front of me. I had fallen asleep about half an hour before, and as I started to wake up I saw a young man (maybe in his early twenties) with short, dark blond or light brown hair, holding something in his hands. He wasn't transparent by any means, but he clearly wasn't solid either, if that makes any sense. I woke up and sat up at the same time, with that coming-up-through-water feeling I've had before, and I tried to grab at him, but he was moving away from me, and my hands went through him. By the time I was sitting all the way up, he was gone and I was fully awake. I looked over at the clock and saw that it was 1:22 a.m. ...

... I know it must have been a dream, but it wasn't like a dream at all because there wasn't any plot preceding it -- he wasn't a character in a dream I was having, he was just there as I woke up. If anything, it was like I woke up because I knew he was there and wanted to get a better look at him, or possibly at what he was holding.

I hadn't been bothered by the two glowing-light experiences, but this one did disturb me a bit -- I wasn't frightened, just a little freaked out because well, I thought I'd seen a stranger in my room. But I was really tired, so after a couple of minutes I just shrugged and went back to sleep. I told my dad about it when he called earlier this evening, and he said I should write it all down and turn it into a best-selling novel. He would say that. :)


April 25, 2009:


... Also, here's something that I have to admit freaked me out a bit. Last Saturday, I had that strange experience, and today, I found out that my mother's youngest brother had died unexpectedly a couple of days before it happened. The last time I saw him, 25 years ago, he was about the age of the young man I saw in my dream, and looked similar, with light hair. But the really spooky bit is that it turns out a few months ago, he had lost the fingers from his right hand in an accident and was deeply depressed about it. I had thought the man I saw/dreamt of/whatever was showing me something in his cupped hands, but maybe what he was showing me was his hands themselves -- that they had been restored and were whole. I generally consider myself to be a skeptic, but sometimes it's hard to be one when weird things like this happen.


Discuss ...

4 comments:

pgvet2 said...

I guess I will open this discussion. I've never really believed in ghosts. However my sister swears she saw our late grandfather when we were teenagers. At night my mom would put my sister in bed and then vacuum the room on her way out the door. My sister woke up to a man pacing back and forth in her room. She said it looked like our grand father but she was too scared to be sure. She was around 14 years old. She leapt from bed towards the door and ran down the hallway. When her and my mom came back to the room there were footprints pacing back and forth. I don't know if ghosts leave footprints. We found out later that there were two men lurking around outside of our place that night but there was no evidence they had entered our house. The only foot prints in and out of the room were my sisters and my mothers. The other set never left or entered the room.

I always felt that it was my grand father coming back to protect her. So who knows?

Humincat said...

I don't know, but being as it is late, I'm sure you've all sufficiently spooked me before bed.

My mom says she saw an angel (female figure with wings and glowing-ish) in front of her car, which stopped us all from smashing into the stopped car in front of us, going 70 mph on the freeway. I guess the distance was like 20 feet, and we didn't crash at all, but I was a child and I remember my mom saying "Oh GOD!" and then asking us all if we saw that....we of course didn't, but I believe she saw something, do to her expression and immediate reaction/response and do to the fact that she doesn't/hasn't seen anything in the past or future.

SJW said...

I've read your blog for the past two years of my own widowhood.

It's well written, well though out, and I totally believe you.

I think our perceptions shift when we encounter great joy and great pain-and being married to a soul mate and then having them pass away unexpectedly certainly fits that bill.

I saw my late hubby, Daz, twice so far-once coming from our room, him in shorts and a white tee, just like he would have worn sitting around the house, another time him sitting on the couch-like your "person," not toally transparant, but not solid, either-just sitting in his usual spot, looking a bit forlorn. I was startled but not unhappy about it.

It lasted about a minute, and I was convinced that I had entered loony-bin territory.

I didn't-or so they tell me, lol-and while I haven't seen him again while awake, his friends have here and there.

Sometimes it's all energy-like your flashing lights-and sometimes it's him, in our house, just chillaxing when there's a bunch of people over.

I used to know everything.
Now I say anything is fair game in this life...

Shelley said...

I believe. I had similar experiences when we lived in the home I grew up in. I had to be in my mid-20s at the time.

One night I woke up to see a twinkling green-blue mass sitting on the edge of my bed, sorta bending over me like a parent does to see if their child is asleep. The mass was shaped like a man in a hat. I had a warm feeling toward the figure ...as if it were comforting to have it there. There was a familiarity about it.

This form visited me three times, and I was certain it was my grandfather who lived in North Dakota. I didn't see him much in life. But it was nice to know he was still with me.