Monday, November 16, 2009

I was that girl once

While shopping at Target by myself today, I was passing the shoe section when I saw a woman around my age, trailed by a blonde girl who looked a year or so older than G. The girl had a pissed-off expression on her face and was walking with her arms folded huffily across the front of her little blue Hollister T-shirt. Her mother looked harassed, but determined to be patient. I eavesdropped on them:

Mother: I really don't think she wore heels at 12.
Girl (in bitchy voice): Yes, she DID.
Mother: Well, I think it's too young. You'll fall off.
Girl (in even more bitchy voice): No, I WON'T.

I managed not to laugh out loud, but I did snort to myself as I rolled my cart toward the shampoo and toothpaste. Oh, tween girls. You're lucky we don't sell you all to the gypsies.

1 comment:

Widow in the Middle said...

May I add my boys to that Gypsy list? Mine have meltdowns over almost invisible zits, cover up, clothes, shoes, their hair, height, sweating too much and imagined sports injuries - and I could go on here. I think all tweens/teens face so many challenges today. I know my sons have self-image insecurities and they are extremely popular!