Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Convalescent

I can't remember the last time it took me this long to recover completely from sickness. All the worst symptoms have been gone since Sunday, but I still get tired easily, and my whole body feels sore, like someone sneaked in and beat me up while I was sleeping. I've been at home for the last two days because G is on President's Week/Ski Week/Make Life Hard For Single Working Parents Week vacation, and it's taken me all of both days to clean the house, very slowly, with a lot of breaks. Maybe I had malaria or something and didn't know it.

And speaking of vacation ... argh. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy hanging out with G, who has finally outgrown the need to have me play Polly Pockets with her during every waking second, and is mostly content to be in the same room with me, doing her thing while I do mine. I would love to be able to spend the entire week relaxing at home with her and/or doing fun stuff. But I can't burn up all my vacation time now, because I just used a big chunk of it on Christmas break, and I still need to cover a week of spring break and two weeks at the end of summer, after day camp ends and before the new school year starts. This means a patched-together plan of one day with MIL (who also works full time), one day at FIL's office, three days at home, etc., etc. It's challenging. And stressful.

In the past I've tried having her stay at my mother's house for a few days (it's 75 miles away, so I can't drive back and forth every day to drop off and pick up), but while she loves Grammy, she hates being away from home for very long, and usually ends up crying and miserable, which is no good for either of us. I cannot tell you how much we're both looking forward to the day when she's old enough to just stay home, at least some of the time, when she hasn't got school. It's still a few years down the line, though. Where's Mary Poppins when I need her?

No comments: