Saturday, March 27, 2010

Hectic

Yesterday started out with G and me frantically frosting bake-sale cupcakes at 7:50 a.m., went on to include a day at work and a detour to an Irish pub for a colleague's celebratory happy hour, and ended with the annual sock hop at G's school. By the time we finally got home and ate some real non-bake-sale food, it was after 8:30, and I was so tired that when G went to watch some Pink Panther cartoons on the TV in her bedroom, I crawled into her bed and went to sleep for two hours. It was a long day.

The sock hop was shaping up to be the painfully boring event it usually is (for me, not for G), when I spotted G's music teacher, Mrs. R, at the next table and decided to save myself by cornering her and talking to her about music and the band program for an hour. The poor woman was probably desperate to get away from me, but she was there by herself and no one came over to rescue her.

I told her that G started out the year thinking that playing an instrument was going to ruin her life and has since fallen in love with it, which is true - she plays her flute daily, without being prompted, and is always hunting for new sheet music to download off the web. Mrs. R laughed and said that she wasn't surprised, because every day she sees G either practicing her music or reading a book during the afterschool program, while everyone else is running around the playground and field. (G doesn't like to sweat or do anything strenuous. She's going to be one of those girls who always tries to avoid dressing out for high-school P.E. classes, and when she does show up in uniform, limply goes through the motions of running laps or playing softball while the teacher exhorts her to show some energy.) She also said that the school G is going to for seventh grade has a fantastic award-winning band, which G will be thrilled to hear.

On that topic, G is much more excited about junior high and high school than I remember being, but that's probably because by the time I was 12, I wanted to be grown up, immediately, without going through any of the steps in between. When other girls were fantasizing about the prom, I was thinking about the glamorous career I was going to have - I was leaning toward either Tony-winning playwright or international undercover agent - and how I was going to decorate my cool loft apartment*. I think G's got more of the right attitude by looking forward to her teenage years - you've got to get through those years one way or the other, so you might as well enjoy them for what they are, if you can.

*I never said my fantasies were realistic.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi, i really enjoy reading about you and G ..... my daughter has forbidden me to write this on my facebook page, but i have a grand daughter, just thought i'd tell you as i need to tell someone that can't be connected back to the family.... they grow up way too fast so its good G is looking forward to what do you call it? we in uk call it secondary school they go from age 11/12 .....love reading your blog....love caroliine xxxxxxxx

Vanessa said...

Hi Caroline,

Here, kids go to elementary school (like your primary school) from kindergarten through fifth or sixth grade. Then they go to either middle school, which lasts for three years, or junior high, which lasts for two years, and finally move on to high school, which lasts for four years. After high school comes college, which for us is the same thing as university - we don't have an equivalent to sixth form college. Our exam system is really different from yours too!

How old is your granddaughter? Do you get to see her often? I'm sorry you aren't able to tell people about her - that's one of the nicest parts of being a grandparent. I hope things change soon and you can tell everyone. *hugs*

Anonymous said...

Hello Vanessa, thanks for taking the time to reply to me moaning on LOL my grand daughter was born last friday 26th would like to shout from the roof tops LOL.....
you have prob already said this in a blog, but how old is G ? i have twin girls who are 11, is G 11? they grow so fast ....
what happened to your post about the foul smelling pizza, that had me in stiches, you write so beautifully you should write a book :-) love caroline xxxxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

i should pay attention just noted your occupation ;-) caroline xx

小研 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.