Saturday, September 18, 2010

Sometimes you have to fight dirty

Today I insisted that G get dressed and go out with me for the afternoon. She wasn't thrilled, but gave in because she could see I meant it, and I wasn't going to let her get away with dragging her feet until it was so late we ended up staying home, which is her usual ploy when faced with the dreadful possibility of leaving the house on a weekend.

We had a nice lunch at Buca di Beppo - spaghetti for her, ravioli for me, cannoli for us both - and when we got back in the car, she asked, "How much of the afternoon is left?"

"That depends," I said. "Do you mean how much chronological time is left until the afternoon ends? Or do you mean how much longer am I going to keep you prisoner on this outing?"

"The latter," she said.

"Oh, about a couple of hours."

"Two hours! But --"

"There's no point arguing," I said. "We're going to spend some quality time together whether you like it or not. If you're nice, I might buy you the book you've been wanting. And if you're not nice, then we'll go shopping for new underwear for me."

"Oh no," she said, turning pale.

"Oh yes. I'll take you to Victoria's Secret and hold up every bra in the place and ask you loudly what you think of it. Maybe I'll even try some of them on over my clothes."

"I'd die of embarrassment," she said.

"I know," I said. "Let's go to the bookstore, shall we?"

3 comments:

Rob said...

We're going to spend some quality time together whether you like it or not.

Classic. Had me chuckling out loud.

Vanessa said...

It's just one step away from "Have fun, dammit!" :)

Humincat said...

I have the exact opposite issue here, home is BOooooooorrrrriiiiiiinnnnnggg! And there might be chores, or mom might take a nap, or gosh forbid, I might have to play with my hilarious little sister! (Ok, so maybe she doesn't find her hilarious, but she should!) :)