Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Unclean!

G and I have both been sick for days with a virus I've dubbed the Venusian Swamp Plague. It starts with a sore throat, then rapidly evolves into all sorts of other nastiness, including sneezing, coughing, dripping, congestion, and a fever that lingers on and on. She's about a day behind me in the course of the disease, but we were both too ill on Sunday and Monday to do anything but huddle in my bed together, drink hot beverages, and watch Netflix.

By Tuesday, I was still weak, and I sounded like a whole pond full of frogs every time I opened my mouth, but was well enough to do a few hours of work. G spent the time nursing her cough, watching more Netflix, and feeling bitter that our tickets for the midnight Spider-Man premiere had gone to waste the night before. (We went to the first IMAX showing today, and I think that mostly made up for the disappointment.) This sort of thing should not be allowed in the summertime.

In other news, I've been in the mood to read time-travel stories for some reason. Right before I came down with the Swamp Plague, I read The Accidental Time Machine by Joe Haldeman, which started out strong but ended up being not so great, with virtually no character development and a plot that was alternately rushed and snail-slow. After that I read Robert Heinlein's The Door Into Summer, which was much better in every way, but had a happy-ending romance that I found deeply creepy. Then just for nostalgia, I read Heinlein's Have Space Suit, Will Travel, which has nothing to do with time travel, but which I remembered reading and enjoying when I was around 10 or 11. Next up I have Replay, and after that I'm wide open, so hit me with your time-travel fiction recs if you've got 'em.

I've also been working my way through the original Sherlock Holmes stories - just finished A Study in Scarlet and The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and started The Sign of Four, featuring the introduction of good old Mary Morstan. I quite like Mary in the Guy Ritchie films; not so sure how I feel about her here, but we'll see as I get further into it. I'm on vacation until next Monday, so I should have plenty of time for reading.

2 comments:

~zandra~ said...

Also Heinlein, but I always enjoyed "Time Enough for Love." I really hope you are both feeling better soon.

Lin said...

Time travel fiction: A Knight in Shining Armor by Jude Deveraux. A love story but one of my favorites.