Monday, August 10, 2009

What you see and what you are

This is me at Christmas 1985, when I was a 14-year-old high-school freshman. I was a bit of a late bloomer and was about the same size that G is now, at ten and a half -- a situation that caused me no end of angst, I can tell you.



The sad part is that in addition to being small for my age, I truly believed that I was hideously, irredeemably ugly. Every time I looked in the mirror, I saw a misshapen troll looking back, but in fact, I was pretty cute, or at the very least, normal. I wish I had known that then. But even more, I wish there were a way to convince G -- who already dislikes her appearance and refuses to look at photos of herself -- how beautiful she really is.
Why are girls cursed with this distorted self-image?

3 comments:

Humincat said...

Good question, same problem here. Mine has decided her butt is too jiggly, and that her belly looks pregnant. I explained curves were natural and to be expected, otherwise she would always have the shape of a small child. She decided that would be a much better fate. I don't know what to say to that, since I couldn't WAIT to grow up and get boobs, lol.

Vanessa said...

It's really disconcerting, isn't it? G was bothered this evening because she weighed herself and she weighs 99 pounds. I explained that this is a normal weight for her height (she's almost 5'1") but she didn't look convinced. I didn't think I'd be dealing with body issues in her for at least two or three more years, but here we are. And it's not like she's a heavy consumer of unrealistic media images either -- she hasn't even watched TV in six months. It just seems to come along with the hormones.

Anonymous said...

Because our stupid society keep faking images of women and models are starving themselves. Sigh...

I hate that

Tell her that I am 5'3" and 144 lbs!


Spacemom