Saturday, May 08, 2010

The geometry of romance

G explains to me, using aliases, who likes whom in her grade at school:

G: Okay, so Susie likes Tom, but Tom likes Susie's friend Mary. Mary likes Joe and Joe likes Trixie. Trixie likes Carl, and Carl likes some other girl whose name I can't remember.
Me: I'm confused.
G: It's not even a love triangle, it's like some strange polygon.
Me: *rofl*
G (with a disapproving head shake): Dating in the fifth grade. I don't know what they're thinking.

Some time later:

G: Everyone says I act like a grownup and not a kid.
Me: Why do they say that?
G: Because I like things they think are boring. I like classical music and I read a lot and I enjoy writing for the school newspaper.
Me: Those are perfectly good interests. Everyone is entitled to like what they like.
G: I know! Screw them!
Me: Um, that's not a polite thing to say. But it's true that it's none of their business.

2 comments:

Jewels said...

lol. Wow. 5th grade is sure a lot more dramatic then when I was there.

Congrats to G for striving to be an idividual!

Nan said...

this kid is seriously cool.