Saturday, July 02, 2005

Perhaps I spoke too soon

Not four hours after I complained about the picky birds, I looked out the window again and saw a sparrow sitting on the edge of the feeder, eating seed. I ran to get G, and we stood there watching him till he'd finished and flapped away. That's right, bird. You'd better eat if you know what's good for you. ;-)

G and I had a busy day. In addition to the library trip, we bought a new lawn chair to replace the one I had to throw out, some butterflies on a stick to brighten up the back yard, and a Scooby-Doo checker game. Against my better judgment, we also bought seed packets. We've had limited success with growing seeds in pots, but the earth in our back yard is like the Gobi Desert: anything we plant there is fated either to struggle vainly for a while and then keel over, or never come up at all (or get weed-whacked and pruned to death by the landlord's gardening service). It wasn't like that when we moved in. Believe it or not, at the time the yard, with its deep, lush grass and vegetable beds, was the main thing that convinced me to rent this place. Within six months, the grass had died, the vegetables had succumbed to some sort of mysterious leaf rot, and there was nothing out back but my potted geraniums and one sickly rosebush. Ever since then, I've been trying to restore the yard to its original splendor, or at least to get it to stop being an eyesore. I'm a little bit hopeful about the morning-glory seeds we bought today -- morning-glory vines grow wild in the gravel side yard despite a complete lack of water and the gardeners' dogged efforts to root them out, so you'd think they'd be happy to grow in the nice, recently fertilized bed where the vegetables used to live.

After the shopping, G and I watered the front lawn with both hose and sprinklers, which gave her a chance to run around barefoot and get soaked. Hey, that's what summer's all about, isn't it? We all had an early dinner, and then G and I picked up some ice cream from Baskin-Robbins. (I'm in love with their Nutty Coconut flavor. In fact, you should stop reading this right now and go get yourself a scoop or two!) She took a long bath afterward and is still watching TV while she waits for her hair to dry. It's so thick that drying is a two-hour affair, and even the hair dryer takes a good 45 minutes.

No comments: