Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Live and learn and lose

In a tangent to the ongoing family drama, last week I discovered that a lot of our belongings, which were put into storage when we moved just after P died, were auctioned off and sold earlier this year. I had meant to retrieve them when we moved into this house and finally had room to keep them, but when I asked the relative who'd arranged the storage for us about getting them back, I got a vague answer. I had a sinking feeling then that something like this had happened, and now I know I was right.

Among the things we lost were P's comic-book collection, which was extensive and probably worth upward of $10,000, and quite a lot of sentimental stuff, including G's baby clothes and toys--I gave most of them away as she outgrew them, but I'd kept a box or two of favorites--as well as all our Christmas decorations from when P was alive. The first Christmas after he died, I bought a tabletop-size artificial tree and a few miniature ornaments to go on it, and that's what we've been using ever since, waiting on the day when we'd finally have our "real" ones again. I suppose now I can stop waiting and just go buy actual replacements for this Christmas, although I can't really replace ornaments like the one we bought the first year we were married, or the year G was born.

What bothers me most of all about this is that it's my own fault. I'm not a trusting person usually, and I should have known better than to let someone else be responsible for anything I cared about. I did know better, but at the time, I was tired and distracted and this relative was offering to take care of things, so I let him, and I got burned. I'm not even angry at him, just at myself, the same way I'm angry at myself for moving into this house that we now may have to leave, all because of another person's irresponsibility. P would be shocked that I'm in this position--he said to me once, "You don't trust anyone at all, do you?" and I said "No one but you." I should have stuck by that credo. I should have rescued our possessions as soon as possible instead of waiting. I should have done a lot of things, but I didn't. I won't make that mistake again.

5 comments:

zandra said...

I am so sorry. I'm at a loss for words.

Jen said...

Oh no, I'm so sorry! Try not to be too hard on yourself -- you were doing the right thing at the time.

Sandy said...

I am so sorry... I've thought of a lot of things to say, but none productive... so I will leave it with I'm sorry.

Rob said...

That just sucks. I hate those kinds of "learning" lessons.

Mel R said...

That really is sad, I'm sorry. I can relate in some way, I entrusted my mother with all the sentimental keepsakes from my childhood temporarily when I was younger and moving, and now I'll never see them again either. Long story but basically, trust no one. I agree. Sad to say. Hugs.