Friday, January 07, 2011

The year of many changes

In thinking about 2011, I've realized that it's going to be packed full of milestones:
  • This month, G turns 12, beginning her final official year of childhood--not that she'll suddenly be grown up when she turns 13, but a teenager is not a kid in the same way a 6- or 8- or 10-year-old is a kid. (A 12-year-old isn't really either, but you've got to draw the line somewhere.) This is her last year of day camp, afterschool care, children's tickets at the movies, and all sorts of other things that have been fixtures in our lives for a long time.
  • Speaking of which, in June, G leaves the elementary school she's attended since her first day of kindergarten.
  • Hard on the heels of that milestone, in early July, is the fifth anniversary of P's death, and then a few days later, what would have been our 15th wedding anniversary.
  • In September, G starts junior high, which I expect to usher in all sorts of lifestyle changes for both of us.
  • In November, I turn 40. The idea doesn't bother me as much as you might think, because the alternative to getting older is being dead, and I'm not up for that. But no matter how you look at it, it's a huge milestone. Maybe even a monolith.
In keeping with this theme of change, I've only made one resolution for this year, and that is to accumulate more new experiences. This came about because just after Christmas, I was filling out one of those end-of-the-year surveys that circulate on Facebook. The first question was "What did you do this year that you've never done before?" and I couldn't answer it, because I hadn't done anything new. How embarrassing!

So, anyway, I thought it might be nice to pick one new thing each month and do it, so I'd have 12 different answers to that question when the end of this year rolls around. I'm having a little trouble getting started because I can't do anything unless I take G with me, and so far she hasn't been into any of my ideas. (I thought the Moroccan restaurant with belly dancers sounded fun. Sheeesh.) But I'm determined, and sooner or later I'll come up with an activity that interests both of us. Stay tuned for updates.

1 comment:

MomToAp said...

I think that is a great resolution for the year. I can say the one new experience I tried last year was a tough one for me but also a rewarding one. I made myself a promise when we went to Disney that I would try foods I had previously been unwilling to try to experience whether I really disliked them or if it was just something I told myself I disliked. I think it was a good experience and I really learned some nice things about foods that I had previously been closed minded about.