Sunday, February 13, 2011

All right, I won't eat your baby, but your soul is fair game

I had forgotten tomorrow was Valentine's Day until I went to the supermarket this afternoon and saw all the massive displays of merchandise. Good thing I did, because I was able to pick up some cheap packs of Valentine-themed Skittles for G to hand out to her class. Oh, lucky teacher, locked up all day with 35 preteens who not only are under the influence of raging hormones, but also have a metric ton of pure grade-A sugar coursing through their bodies.

In other news, today we made a special trip to my office to collect unsold Girl Scout cookies so we could return them to the "cookie leader." G was extremely annoyed about having to interrupt her Sunday-afternoon schedule of sloth and indolence to go with me (I needed her to help carry boxes out to the car) until I reminded her that they were her cookies for her Girl Scout troop. I don't know if she was any happier about it after that, but at least she kept her displeasure to herself.

I'm feeling a little miffed at Girl Scouts in general after once again being the recipient of judgey looks from Girl Scout mothers when I went to pick G up at yesterday's International Fair event. I was wearing more or less what I usually wear--black velvet jeans, long-sleeved black shirt, black shoes with a skull-and-crossbones design, and black sunglasses--and all the Girl Scout mothers I passed on my way into the building stared at me as if I were going to steal their souls and eat their babies. These are clearly very sheltered women, because while I was the only person there in head-to-toe black, my clothes were still completely mainstream by almost any standards, nor did I have tattoos or piercings or a hair color not found in nature (and if I had, who cares), and yet you would have thought they'd seen Marilyn Manson stomping up the sidewalk toward the high-school gym.

I wonder what it's like to be that uptight. I also wonder what sort of reception is doled out to people who do have tattoos, piercings, etc., and daughters who are Girl Scouts. It can't be very nice.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol i have tattoo's :) some people are like that here too judgemental before you even open your mouth :/ (uk)
how you doing?.... i do check up on you but not always post.... would like to add you on fb so i'm not anon... i have quite private settings on fb :/ not sure how to do it?
i stumbled accross your bog by accident last year ....... we have children in same school year except things in US are different to UK? sending <3 Caroline Gill :)

Mel R said...

LOL I'm a GS mom and given my share of judgey looks but it has nothing to do with appearance and more with the fact I get annoyed with moms who never help out and think of me as free babysitting for two hours every other week or at whatever event. I got that crap just this weekend...never fails to piss me off.

Anonymous said...

you haven't posted in a while and i miss reading!!