Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Six things make a post

1. G has missed two days of school this week due to a sore throat, fever and general yuck. She should be going back tomorrow, as a visit to the doctor today revealed that her throat is red, but probably not strep-laden. Her consolation prize for enduring the throat culture was a chocolate strawberry cupcake at the bakery next door to the doctor's office (which I'll bet just rakes in the cash from parents offering similar bribes consolation prizes), and then I decided I needed some consoling too and got an Oreo cupcake for myself. Mmmm.

3. A friend of mine texted me to see how G was and to say that he picked up a box of Ghirardelli brownie mix for me when he went to Costco at lunch. I texted back "thx for the brownie mix" and my phone autocorrected it to "thx for the brownish lox." G and I got a good laugh out of that one.

4. Last night, we whiled away half an hour by watching a DVD of this production of The Cat in the Hat, which was marvelously inventive and looked exactly like the book come to life. We then pondered the hypothetical answer to the question "If our mother could see this, oh, what would she say?" and decided that it would probably be "YOU TWO ARE IN SO MUCH TROUBLE" and perhaps also "WHAT HAVE I TOLD YOU ABOUT LETTING ANTHROPOMORPHIC ANIMALS INTO THE HOUSE?" (Although maybe not the latter since they do have a talking fish.)

5. Being at home for the last two days has motivated me to do two of my least favorite household chores: cleaning the bathrooms, and washing the cat bowls and cleaning the plastic mat that goes under them. I hate doing both of those things, but it's amazing how much better the whole place looks and feels after I do. Especially the cat area--something about spilled cat kibble on the floor creates very bad feng shui.

6. Being at home for the last two days has also apparently made me a very boring person who posts about boring things. Sorry about that. :P

4 comments:

Widow in the Middle said...

This post brought to mind your admission that if I'm remembering correctly you went about two years with an unopened box on your washer before finally opening it and sorting through the contents. I loved and appreciated your humor (as well as your ability to poke fun at yourself). Now I will remember your aversion to cleaning out the cat bowls! Hope your daughter is much better. My sons also missed some school because of the sore throat thing. And I've done the bribe course too but at a much higher monetary level. Have heard it is pretty common out there. My sister admitted to it to with her 13-year-old daughter who for some reason was refusing to sing in the chorus concert... I think she ended up with a coveted sewing machine for singing in the concert, which became a Christmas gift too.

Rob said...

Uh, there's only five things on that list up there....

Vanessa said...

So there are. I wonder what happened to no. 2? I blame a rogue wormhole in the fabric of space/time.

Rob said...

Good answer!