Saturday, July 23, 2011

I can't help myself

Today I went to Subway, and while I was waiting to pay for my order, I looked to my right and saw a laser-printed notice that read:

THIS LOCATION OPEN 24 HOURS
BEGINNNING JULY 15

"Do you know your sign has an extra letter?" I asked the teenage cashier.

"What?" he said.

I pointed. He started to laugh.

"Hey, [name]," he called to the manager, who was showing another employee how to clean the drink machine. "You put an extra 'n' in 'beginning.'"

"What?"

"In the sign. 'Beginning' has an extra 'n.'"

"Oh," said the manager. To me, he said, "That's been up for two weeks and no one else has noticed."

"I'm sorry," I said, starting to feel like a jerk. "I'm an editor. It's my job to notice."

"It's in all of them," giggled the cashier, who had gone to inspect the identical signs stuck in different locations around the shop.

At that point, I grabbed my sandwich and my Diet Coke and escaped, because the manager was looking a little too angry for my taste. Hey, buddy, I usually charge people money for my services. How about a free cookie or something instead of a glower?

5 comments:

Rob said...

I was once noticed a sign in a tourist trap gift shop offering "Medevil goblets" for sale.

Instead of pointing out the error to the proprietor I simply snapped a photo with plans to mock it on the internet.

Humincat said...

I don't think I've ever read a menu that didn't have at least 1 spelling error. I've found errors on posters at stores, in fancy restaurants and hotels, on junk mail advertisements, and much more. I even noticed when the little mannequin "smallest son" had his shorts on backwards at Old Navy. I never considered actually getting PAID to point out these finds! How cool is that?!

Vanessa said...

There used to be a store near me with a sign that said "Al's Upolstery." It drove me crazy every time I passed it, especially because it was clearly an old store and the sign had probably been like that for 30 years or so. I so wanted to climb up with a ladder late one night and spray-paint the missing "h" in there.

jane smith said...

Sleeping in the camp of demonstrators Ehm than ? Christian Louboutin Women SneakersWei Sele (Embi Weitzel) is for their own woven cotton socks. She said our reporter, winter is coming, get ready. She said, now quite moderate in sleeping bags, but the Christian Louboutin Men Sneakersweather cool down again, then do not know can not warm up.
eise Le said, "The next step should be to consider protestors occupied the park or a warehouse near the subway station, this seems to be the best way to get through the winter, but the police wouldGianmarco Lorenzi Shoes probably be mad."
Wei Sele is "occupied Wall Street," a microcosm of the demonstrators. She told reporters that he came from Colorado, a two-day bus ride to New York to participate in "occupied Wall Street" demonstration. She said she worked as a post-graduate librarian, but resigned this year. She would like to find a new job, but found "prohibitively difficult."

dfsbartds said...

The ralph lauren sale is great,if you want to have ralph lauren shirts,I suggest you go to ralph lauren online.polo shirts are very hot this year.And ralph lauren polo is a trusted,polo ralph lauren give you a different visual impact.ralph lauren divided ralph lauren men,ralph lauren kids and women,ralph lauren outlet so you feel cool in the heat of summer comfort.Choose ralph lauren shop is to choose comfort.