Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Art for art's sake

G and I had some fun with art on Sunday afternoon. She was banging markers randomly down on a paper towel and letting the ink dots spread, and something about that reminded me of those splattery Jackson Pollock action paintings. I got my laptop and showed her what they looked like, and then, for comparison, showed her Seurat's Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte to illustrate how you could also use dots of color to make a more traditional "picture." Some of the images of Impressionist paintings in the sidebar on that page caught her eye, and she asked to look at them, so we clicked through a few. Afterward, she decided to name her own picture "The Rainbow Colors" (I had told her that artists usually give a title to each piece of work). She wrote that at the top of the paper towel, with a little spelling help from me, and then signed it at the bottom the way an artist would.

Anyway, this was an interesting way to spend half an hour. She really loves all sorts of painting and drawing, and she's been asking to go to a "picture museum" for a long time, but I've never taken her because I thought she wasn't old enough to appreciate it. We've been to plenty of natural history and science and children's museums, but never an art one. Maybe it's time.

No comments: