Sunday, October 25, 2009

Sorry, no more brain space. Try again later.

One of the computers I use at work likes to pop up this error message:

The operation could not be completed because memory is full.

I feel exactly like that sometimes. I've got so many details stuffed into my head - things I need to do at work, at home, for G's school, for G's activities - that I have moments when the sheer mass of it all is overwhelming.

I'm lucky enough to have a good memory, and I make lots of lists and set up e-mail reminders to help, and while I may not always be bang on time for everything (lateness is my bĂȘte noire), it's rare for me to drop the ball in a major way. Still, there are times when I'd love to be able just to do a mental reboot and free up space for more data, or at least clear out a vacant corner that's responsible for thinking about nothing in particular.

... Or, as long as we're fantasizing, to hire a personal assistant whose whole job would be to put Frontline on the cats and go to the music store for G's flute practice book and have the oil in my car changed. Maybe when I win that Super Lotto jackpot.

1 comment:

Humincat said...

You know, I am right there with you lately, so much so where I have actually begun to completely forget things that I've said or discussed. This last month I've been told 3 times "wait, we already talked about that.." and I'm like "What? I just thought that right now, how can we have already discussed it?" It's a new feeling and I don't like it one bit! I'm hoping it's just some weird hormonal glitch that will regulate itself.