Thursday, August 19, 2010

Me, myself and I

Things I have learned this week:

1.  It takes me four and a half days to generate enough trash to fill the kitchen can.
2.  It takes half a day less than that to fill the dishwasher.
3.  Filling the dishwasher would have taken longer if I hadn't used the big mixing bowl.
4.  If I lived alone, it would be weeks before I ran out of clean forks and spoons.
5.  Drinking glasses are another story.
6.  I can eat for a long time on $25 worth of groceries.
7.  I talk to the cats when no one else is around.
8.  I'm not as bothered by that as I probably should be.

In case it wasn't obvious, G has been at my mother's house since Sunday. It's the longest she's ever been away from home - her previous record was three days and three nights, also at Grammy's Big Fun Resort for Kids - and at first I put off calling her because I was worried that it might make her homesick.  On Tuesday afternoon, I finally got her on the phone, and when I was about to hang up, I said, "Bye, I love you," and she said  ... wait for it ...

"Yeah, see you later."

At that point, I decided that since she clearly wasn't pining away for me, I might as well enjoy having the rest of the week to myself. (Well, the rest of the week minus the nine hours a day I spend at work.) I read and wrote a lot. I cleaned the house. I took myself to see Inception, which I really enjoyed. I drank Pyramid Audacious Apricot Ale and I ate chocolate-chip cookie ice-cream sandwiches, although not at the same time. It was all quite relaxing.

But relaxing as it's been, I'm looking forward to G coming home tomorrow. I'm an introvert and it's easy for me to spend time on my own - an accident of personality that I sometimes think is almost an unfair advantage, given my situation - but I miss my little girl. She's messy and stubborn and full of tween attitude, she can empty the fridge and cupboards in a matter of hours, and she resists showers with every molecule of her being, but she's also funny and quirky and creative and charming, and I love her to bits and pieces. Thank goodness I've still got seven years until she leaves for college.

P.S. When I talked to her on the phone this evening, I said "I love you" again, and this time she said "I love you" back. She probably won't admit it when I see her, but I know she missed me too.

1 comment:

Proud Maisie said...

I get a little twinge of pain when I say "I love you" and someone doesn't respond back...
She'll be back soon.