Sunday, July 22, 2007

This and that

As if I needed more proof that G is my daughter, I just walked into the bathroom and discovered that she'd propped an open magazine up on the toilet tank so she could read while in the shower. Now that's dedication.

Speaking of reading, we went to a Harry Potter release party at Borders on Friday night. I bought books 5 and 6 at midnight as well, but never bothered with the party bit before -- I just swooped in at 11:45, bought the book and took it home to read. This time, since I'm not as big a fan as I used to be, I considered just waiting and getting a copy the next day. In the end, though, I decided to go because G is finally old enough to stay awake past midnight, and when she's grown up, I want her to be able to say that she participated in this little bit of history. I think for her generation, it'll end up being one of those experiences you remember, like seeing the original Star Wars is for people my age.

Anyway, we arrived at Borders just after 11 p.m., watched the costume contest (I couldn't see well enough to tell who won, but the three finalists were a Harry, a Hermione and a Luna, none of whom were older than 10), browsed a bit, and then started lining up. At both of the previous releases I attended, they had a number system and called people up in groups according to number -- e.g., "Everyone with a number between 100 and 200, line up now" -- but this time there were colored wristbands that didn't work nearly as well. I've always got my book and been out by 12:15, 12:20 at the latest, but this time it was nearly 1 a.m. before we finally got to the front and paid. G did great at the store, but by the time we got home she'd turned into Grumpy McCrankypants -- understandably so, considering how tired she must have been -- and it was all I could do to get her pajamas on her before she crashed.

After our late night, we both slept in on Saturday morning and did very little for the rest of the day. Today, though, we were back to normal, just in time for G's horseback-riding class at noon. They were learning to use the reins, and it seemed to go well. G's getting a lot better at mounting, too, and doesn't have to be hoisted into the saddle like a sack of potatoes anymore. We've got one more class to go in this session, and I'll probably sign her up for the next one as well since she enjoys it so much. She really wants full-fledged riding lessons (not to mention a horse of her own), but I haven't been able to find them for less than $200 a month, and that's just not going to happen. I can swing $60 for a 4-week class, but no way have I got $2,400 a year to spend on lessons of any sort, no matter how much I'd like to.

2 comments:

MomToAp said...

We took Alex to the midnight madness party at Barnes and Nobles much for the same reason that you took G to the party there. I feel that this is a part of their culture and I want him to be able to look back and say I was there the night the last Harry Potter came out. And an added benefit for him ended up being he was put on TV, they taped him at the release party and used it on the 11 oclock news broadcast.

Pixilated Mum said...

Cool. That sounds like it was a lot of fun. : )