Thursday, September 13, 2007

Life in fast-forward

Sometime during the course of this week, I realized how incredibly, overwhelmingly tired I am. It's not even physical fatigue, though I've had awful insomnia lately and could certainly use a good night's sleep. It's just that the summer was so stressful, what with childcare problems and money problems and the anniversary of P's death and all the rest of it, that I'm all worn out and used up. Bottom of the barrel. Needle on empty. Stick a fork in me, I'm done.

On top of that, I've been feeling old -- not in a "Woe, I'm not a teenager anymore" way, but in a weary way. I'll be 36 in a couple of months, and I feel as if I've already lived an entire lifetime: at an age when some people are just starting to think about getting married and having babies, I've already had a complete marriage from beginning to end, and when G turns 9 in January, I'll be halfway through my child-raising years. I feel practically old enough to retire. What am I supposed to do about that?

I really, really need some rest.

The last time I did sleep well, a few weeks ago now, I had the most vivid dream about P. I saw him, said something like "Oh, you've come for a visit," and went over to hug him, and when I did that, I put my face in his neck and sniffed him. For as long as I knew him, he had this fantastic scent that seemed to come right out of his skin -- it was a bit like freshly baked bread and always made me think of good things to eat -- and I could actually smell it in the dream. I don't think I've ever dreamt of a scent before, but there it was. Strange, but also wonderful in a way.

4 comments:

Space Mom said...

Those are some deep thoughts.

Sending some "young person vibes" your way!

Pixilated Mum said...

Whenever you read a biography, you know how it seems like there are these great long phases in that person's life? It's almost like they have different lifetimes within a lifetime? I think it's a feeling that we can relate to ...

When I look back at different parts of my life, it feels like certain things happened to another person or I just get sad because beautiful things ended. So I know that feeling, although I don't pretend to understand the sadness and loss of losing Pete ...

I'm sorry, V. ((((((((hugs)))))

And considering our area and $$$$, there's no way G is going to be out of the house at 18. It's all about Boomerang Children, V. ;-)

baggage said...

I love dreams like that. I hope it made you feel better, and not sad.

christian louboutin uk store sale said...

n and production the exhibition will also explore the company's innovative store design in which Louboutin is always closely involved.Although Christian Louboutin is associated with all varieties of red-soled shoes,Christian Louboutin Sale he believes that the perfect shoe for a woman is the pump. The master shoemaker gave a talk at London's Victoria & Albert Museum, where he said that "A good pump is a silhouette, like

he return and exchange policy.Use a lot of skin moisturizer so that the skin can get soft and get used to the new heel footwear. This would help getting into the heel footwear and would also prevent from scars, blisters of shoe bite. As1/3rd of the ladies would not be willing to wear the same shoes the second time, if the first experience was not that pleasant.In case, one is in the habit of weari

ned to perpetuate [the color depletion theory's] per Christian Louboutin Women's Mary Janesse prohibition which is in conflict with the liberating purposes of the Act," and agreed with the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board that "the color depletion argument is an unreasonable restriction on the acquisition of trademark rights." The Supreme Court adopted this position in Qualitex, holding that the color depletion argument is unpersuasiv

se-law precedent shows that marks consisting of various colors and combinations of colors have been held to be protectable in the fashion industry. True, says the Amerikat, but not a single color on fashion item .The Utilitarian Functionality DefenseAfter examining the validity, the court should have looked at the likelihood of confusion. Despite both parties providing Christian Louboutin Men's Shoesarguments on this point, Jud