Monday, November 23, 2009

The shot heard 'round the world

Fifth grade in California means U.S. history, and U.S. history, as we all know, starts with the Revolutionary War. Because the school hates me and knows I'm a 10-thumbed eejit when it comes to sewing and crafts, they are staging Walk Through the American Revolution at the beginning of December, and I'm required to produce an eighteenth-century costume for G to wear. This is much more complicated than last year's Walk Through California, when she wore a long skirt, a white blouse and carried a fan, and looked just like a Spanish lady ... sort of.

The good news is that G isn't being too picky about her costume this year, although she did caution me, upon bringing the flier home, "I'm not gonna dress like a dude." (Which is too bad, because I have a velvet blazer that would have looked lovely with some leggings and long socks.) The bad news is that I have about two weeks to figure something out without spending a fortune. I wish I still had the dress my mother sewed for me to wear when my sixth-grade class reenacted the Civil War a million years ago in 1982. She made it out of a yellow bed sheet, and it looked amazing. Why can't I do things like that?

2 comments:

FosterAbba said...

Why is it that schools always assume that parents don't have better things to do than bake, sew, and sell crap door-to-door to raise money for the school?

I know I have much more important things to do...like work so I can pay my bills.

foxychao said...

Do you have a photo of that dress? I am curious to see. ha ha ha