Saturday, February 27, 2010

End of an era



G is giving all her Barbies to the 6- and 8-year-old daughters of one of my friends. She could certainly use the extra space in her room, but it's still bittersweet to see her giving up something that used to mean so much to her without a backward glance. I did save two of them: her very first Barbie, which was always known as "Barbie Barbie" for some reason, and a Wonder Woman one that P bought for her. She may disdain them now, but in 20 years, she'll be glad she has them. Who knows? Maybe she'll even have daughters who will enjoy playing with a few of their mother's toys.

I'll tell you one thing, it took me forever to dress 30+ Barbies in matching clothes and straighten out all their hair. Not that they probably won't end up naked and tangled with their new owners (the tragic fate of all Barbies) but it seemed unsavory somehow to hand over a bag of nude dolls to a friend, especially a male friend. I'd have felt like a purveyor of Barbie p0rn.

2 comments:

Widow in the Middle said...

Very cute photo. I am so glad you set aside two of the dolls. I know I regretted throwing mine away as a teenager. I've replaced a few over the years when I've run across them at a garage sale. This is a very nice gesture by your daughter. It always makes me feel so good whenever a gift is given in love and the recipient uses and enjoys it.

brian said...

That is good of her to find a new home for all her dolls, she is growing up, and her dolls will have a new home!