Sunday, February 19, 2006

Walk like an Egyptian

Yesterday morning, G and I bought a birthday gift for her friend, wolfed down our early lunch, and then went to an ill-starred ballet class. G started out by slipping and falling hard on the dance floor before the lesson even began, and it just went downhill from there. I had some reservations about taking her to her friend's birthday party at Pump It Up immediately afterward, just in case she'd sprained something, but she wasn't limping, and she was excited to go, so we went. I'm glad we did -- as soon as we walked in, her eyes went wide at the sight of the towering inflatables, and then she said "Hold my jacket for me!" and took off running toward the nearest slide. I think I might have seen her twice in the next half-hour. I mostly stood around in the "party arena" while kids charged past me, red-faced, sweaty-haired and panting. (All signs of a really fun party, at least if you're under 10.) G had a great time and never complained about her elbow or ankle -- the parts that had taken the brunt of her fall -- so I guess I shouldn't have worried.

Today we got off to a much later start than yesterday. P was out with a friend, so G and I did the grocery shopping and had lunch together at a restaurant he doesn't like. When we got home, G watched Scooby-Doo DVDs while I put all the food away and cleaned the fish tank. (Fish-tank maintenance is way down at the bottom of my list of fun things to do, right under scrubbing the toilet and unclogging the garbage disposal. Yuck.) Later on, a different friend of P's came over and we all went to the mall together. G got a cool book called Egyptology at Borders, and she and I spent the rest of the evening playing with it. I don't know how the publisher makes any money selling it for $19.99 -- with all those pull-outs and gatefolds and pasted-in bits, it must cost a fortune to produce -- but I'm glad it was so affordable. I may go back next time I get paid and buy Dragonology too.

No comments: