Sunday, March 12, 2006

Weather or not

We had the strangest weather today. One minute the sky was heavy and sullen with thick, grey clouds; the next minute it was all clear and blue with hardly a wisp of cloud in sight; and then it was back to dark and forbidding again. We kept coming in from bright sunshine and going out under cold drizzle. I don't think it rained for more than 20 minutes altogether, but that 20 minutes came in half a dozen bursts of three or four minutes each. If you saw someone shaking her fist at the heavens this afternoon and shouting "Make up your mind already," that would have been me.

It seemed strange to shop for spring clothes on a day like this, but warm weather is just around the corner, and G has inconveniently outgrown almost everything she wore last year. We found some cute, inexpensive things at Old Navy: a skirt, a couple of T-shirts, a pair of capri jeans, a lightweight sweater, and a marked-down long-sleeved shirt, which I bought in a bigger size so she can wear it next fall/winter too. I saw other things I liked, but I've learned the hard way not to go crazy at the beginning of the season -- every time I do that, she has a growth spurt and ends up with a closet full of barely-worn jeans and shirts that don't fit her.

We came home for a while to have lunch and relax, and then went out again in yet another futile attempt to get my laptop fixed. This time I did manage to talk to someone at the Apple Store, but he promptly told us I'd have to go someplace else to have my data backed up. Grrr! I'm starting to think it would be cheaper and easier just to buy an external hard drive and do it myself. He also said it looked like there was liquid damage to my keyboard (which as far as I know there isn't), and that there was a possibility Apple wouldn't repair it because liquid damage voids the warranty. After everything I've gone through to get my coverage activated, I'll be ready to explode if I can't use it ... and if they tell me I need to pay for a new laptop, I don't know what I'll do. P is going to try the place we were referred to this week, and hopefully we'll have things resolved soon. I suspect I'm going to be bringing a lot of work home with me for a while, and I really need a functioning laptop -- I can't work on P's iMac at all.

After Apple, we stopped at Borders, which is in the same mall, and got two more Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist books for G. She loves them -- she sat in the café with P and read most of Attack of the 50-Ft. Cupid while I browsed. I started The Invisible Fran with her at bedtime, and she'll probably have finished it by the time I get home from work tomorrow. For myself, I got The Rice Mother, which I'm enjoying so far. (Sorry, House of the Spirits, it's back to the library with you.) In fact, I think I'll get off the computer now and go read some more of it before bed.

No comments: