Monday, June 11, 2007

Getting dressed can be dangerous

Today I felt icky all day because I was wearing my Fat Sweater. This is not like my Fat Pants, which are the pants I keep around to wear when I'm fatter than usual and my other pants don't fit. This is a sweater that makes me look fat. It's a perfectly nice sweater from the Gap -- longish and ribbed, with a hood -- but I didn't try it on before I bought it, and so I didn't know that every time I wore it I would look the way I did when I was five months pregnant and still deluding myself into thinking that I didn't need maternity clothes. (I was so against the idea of spending money on maternity clothes that I convinced myself I could just buy regular clothes in larger sizes, and then I would be able to keep wearing them after the baby came, at least until I could fit into my size 1 skirts again, hahahaha. All that happened was that I looked like a tool for several months before I finally broke down and bought some real maternity shirts that covered me properly. And I never wore those extra-large regular clothes again. And I never fit into my old clothes again, either.) I know I should just throw the Fat Sweater away, or give it to a charity that can pass it on to someone whose body it flatters more than it does mine, but I paid hard-earned money for it, and it's still a perfectly good sweater, dammit. (Yeah. Good and fat.)

Wearing the Fat Sweater was not the only clothing-related faux pas I made today. I also forgot that G was supposed to wear pajamas to school for the first day of Spirit Week. She forgot too, and neither of us remembered until she got to the school gate, saw the other kids, and came sprinting back to the car in tears, pleading with me to take her home so she could change. I was ready to cry too, she was so upset, but it was 8:40, the second bell had already rung, and I had a meeting at 9:00. There just wasn't time for either of us to go home and come back, so I sent her back up the sidewalk still sobbing, and drove away feeling like a heel. Luckily, she'd gotten over it long before I picked her up, and as soon as we came home we laid out her outfit for tomorrow (Movie Star Day) so there could be no mistakes in the morning. We've still got Twin Day, Blue Day and some other day to get through this week. I hope I survive.

8 comments:

Pixilated Mum said...

I've got a Fat Sweater, but it's like my Fat Sweatshirt. LOL I wear it when it's chilly and DH is at work so he can't see the extra 14 pounds the stupid thing adds to my nice hefty frame. ARGH.

Aw, poor G. That stinks ... (hug)

Well-heeled mom said...

Movie Star Day? How on earth do you pull that off in a whim!

Vanessa said...

She's wearing a black sundress of hers, a sparkly red top of mine, a black-and-white scarf, black patent shoes, and sunglasses. She also lobbied for and won the right to wear lipstick, which she is otherwise not allowed to do unless it's for a costume (Halloween/dance recital/school play/etc.) I don't know how much she *looks* like a movie star, but she *feels* like one, and that makes all the difference, dahling. ;)

Humincat said...

I did the exact same thing during my pregnancy, and none of my xtra large clothes fit, nor my maternity clothes, nor my previous wear, so I end up trying 5-6 things on everyday until something looks halfway decent, which is still a long way from good. My pants are too tight, my shirts too big, or short, my bra's busting at the seams, and I currently own 2 pair of shoes!! Oh, and Cateyes missed Twin Day last week as well.

Rhea said...

I always have clothes in my closet that make me look not great. Why do I keep them? I see I am not the only one.

Mrs Figby said...

I think I have that exact same sweater. It's hideous, but I keep it to wear when I'm extra cold.

And. Um. You were a size 1? Holy smokes. I might have been a size 1 for five minutes once, when I was 9.

Humincat said...

Oh, I was going through your previous posts and saw something that caught my eye, so I asked Hubby how far away we are from San Diego Zoo and he said, ahhh about 80 miles! I have an almost 8 yr old who loves to read as well. Did you find any good camps around here? Email me at humincat@yahoo.com if you don't want to post any details on my blog.

Vanessa said...

I was a size 1 for a few years in my mid-twenties. I don't think I want to go back to that now (I was 15 pounds underweight, skipped my period about every other month, and got dizzy when I stood up too fast) but it would be nice if I could zip up my size 10 jeans without having to lie down on the bed.