Thursday, June 14, 2007

Life with P

P and I are on our second date, seeing The Pelican Brief. In the last 5 minutes of the movie, he leans over to whisper something to me.

P: I suddenly have a craving for pot.
Me: Do you smoke pot?
P: No!

---

Circa 1997, we've been married for about a year and are living in our first apartment. I wake up from a dead sleep and see P crawling under our computer desk with a flashlight and a tube of something.

Me: What are you doing?
P: Caulking.
Me: What time is it?
P: Two a.m.
Me: Okay. *goes back to sleep*

---

G is about three and I'm giving her a bath one evening while P watches television in the living room.

P (shouting down the hall): MAKE SURE YOU WASH HER ASS!
G (shouting back): WHAT'S MY ASS?

I can barely finish the bath because I'm weak with laughing.

---

G and I have been blowing bubbles in the backyard with one of those forty-nine cent bottles of bubble liquid. I come inside with the liquid all over my fingers and hold my hand out to P.

Me: Feel this.
P (recoiling): What is it?
Me: It's bubble liquid. It's perfectly safe. Go ahead.
P (rubbing some between his thumb and index finger): Okay, what about it?
Me: It's the exact same consistency as, um, female lubrication.
P (still rubbing): Oh, shit, it is! (pause) But it's not as warm.

---

I'm in bed with the lights out and my laptop open, writing. P joins me.

P: What are you writing?
Me: A story.
P: Is it about that guy called [name]?
Me: He's not called [name]. He's called [other name].
P: Bwahahahahahaha!
Me: What's so funny?
P: He sounds like a real estate agent!
Me: Good night, Peter.

---

It's spring 2005. P is in the hospital for some reason I can't remember and is so sick that for the first time in years, I'm really worried he might die. He's in intensive care, unconscious, and I sit by his bed and hold his hand. The next day he's better, and we talk.

P: Thanks for holding my hand.
Me: What?
P: Yesterday. You held my hand.
Me: I didn't think you were awake.
P: I wasn't.
Me: But you could feel me holding your hand?
P: Yeah. It was nice.

6 comments:

Kristen D. said...

Laughing and crying at the same time here...

I can tell from the way you write about him that P was both an amazing and wonderful person.

writermeeg said...

Laughing hysterically at What's My Ass?, and tearing up at It was nice. Thanks for sharing these precious memories. (hugs)

Pixilated Mum said...

Awwww, Pete.

I've been thinking about him a lot lately, especially with the Fantastic Four sequel coming out. Comic books and their movies remind me of him.

Thanks for sharing stories with us.

FosterAbba said...

Thanks for sharing... ((hugs))

Mrs Figby said...

Those are great stories. It's obvious that he was a funny, cool guy.

Humincat said...

I love that you share him, if not for us, then for you. I love that one day, if I happen to go early, someone who loved me will remember the silly, funny, smart, sweet, things I've said and done. I am really sorry that you have lost this person who was your world and I am extremely proud of how you have continued on as well and as honestly as you can. Good job, and thanks for sharing your Peter with us.